INSTALL OIL FILL TUBE

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea, right. The chrome tube edelbrock supplied can not be installed with "tapping". I even turned it down very slightly and used a BFH and I got it to go about 1/2" maybe. The end of the tube as it entered was even curling at the edge much like forming an inverted flare on a tube. I used a piece of 2x4 and a 1lb hand sledge and I was afraid to continue hitting it as I'm sure I would have bent it. Fortunately I decided I wanted the bracket for the carb spring so I ordered a black reproduction from Paragon. I haven't tried it but it felt like it might be a little looser fit in the manifold, again I'm convinced the thickness of the chrome plating is too blame. I didn't hate the chrome but i surely want the carb spring bracket as original. I'm betting the painted one goes much easier with my BFH and 2x4. I'm going to mic the two and see if there is a difference in diameter Thanks for the info.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Yea, right. The chrome tube edelbrock supplied can not be installed with "tapping". I even turned it down very slightly and used a BFH and I got it to go about 1/2" maybe. The end of the tube as it entered was even curling at the edge much like forming an inverted flare on a tube. I used a piece of 2x4 and a 1lb hand sledge and I was afraid to continue hitting it as I'm sure I would have bent it. Fortunately I decided I wanted the bracket for the carb spring so I ordered a black reproduction from Paragon. I haven't tried it but it felt like it might be a little looser fit in the manifold, again I'm convinced the thickness of the chrome plating is too blame. I didn't hate the chrome but i surely want the carb spring bracket as original. I'm betting the painted one goes much easier with my BFH and 2x4. I'm going to mic the two and see if there is a difference in diameter Thanks for the info.

I’m not sure what kind of manifold you’re working with....... but if it’s aluminum, you can easily massage the bore of that hole

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I had my 67Corvette 327, I used the stock oil filler tube with a Edelbrock manifold. Cleaned it of grit, light oil, line it up, block of wood and hammer. So easy. Same as the rod on fuel pump. Rotate cam it till all pressure is off, remove pump, rod falls out, to install, dab of grease, in it go, grease holds it in place while you bolt pump back on.
I wipe the oil off the pump rods, and have tried heavy grease and for some reason it never works for me :doh Seems to work for everyone else though :dunno2