Installing pistons in block.

Clanier

I will start installing the pistons tomorrow in a truck block 409. I have seen the video of them using a ring compressor, but have also seen on this forum NOT to use the compressor. Can someone please share with me the best method to get them in without damage. Thanks again for the help guys!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Insert rod first into cylinder until the rings touch the top of the block. Once the ring starts to touch block, simply help the rings to compress until all rings are in the cylinder. Be sure to oil everything on the rings. It's best to stop after each piston is in the cylinder to drink a beer. Makes the job a lot more fun. Add in radio with country and western music!!!!!!!!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Insert rod first into cylinder until the rings touch the top of the block. Once the ring starts to touch block, simply help the rings to compress until all rings are in the cylinder. Be sure to oil everything on the rings. It's best to stop after each piston is in the cylinder to drink a beer. Makes the job a lot more fun. Add in radio with country and western music!!!!!!!!
Both types? Country AND western?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know on my last one I tried it with my fingers and said no way and I was afraid of a ring catching on the counter bore so I pulled out the ring compressor and stuck the compressor down in the counter bore and they went in with a few taps. Runs

427John

Well Known Member
So is it safe to say if you still have a counterbore use a compressor and if you don't have it don't use a compressor?

Clanier

I have tried all 3 of my ring compressors. Two ratchet band type and one hand compressor. None will fit in the combustion chamber due to the thickness of the bands. Going to have me dad who hasn't built a 409 in over fifty years give it a try tomorrow.