Installing radiator

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
I recently had to R&R the radiator in our '61 and my wife asked why I removed a couple of bolts and re-installed them from the other side. This gave me the idea of snapping a few pics and creating a thread showing why I chose to do it that way. I am not sure if this is the best way or not....but this is the way that worked for me so I thought I'd share it with the folks on the forum.

I'll list the basic steps I used for installation. Removal would be reverse order once the fluids were drained and hoses disconnected....
  1. Set shroud in place, resting gently on the fan.
  2. Thread in two upper bolts from the front side of the radiator support (facing rearwards)
  3. Install the overflow hose onto the radiator (if you are using that method)
  4. Lower radiator into place and hang on two bolt studs installed earlier.
  5. Position the shroud into place
  6. Use a drift punch to help align holes and install 4 lower bolts (two each side)
  7. Remove 2 upper bolts and re-install in correct orientation.
  8. Let me know if I missed anything....:)
Hopefully this thread will help someone. :cheers

01 position shroud.jpg 02 stud bolt.jpg 04 lower radiator into place.jpg 05 radiator hanging.jpg 06 shroud installed.jpg 07 align bolts.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Greg that is a good idea to keep a freshly painted core support looking new instead of everything slipping around while trying to start bolts. Thanks for posting.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What about the spacers?
But that is a great way to hang the radiator when your by yourself.

Dave

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nice idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to do the same thing soon, so I'll remember this, Carmine.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Great suggestion, my question is; what did you use to attach the rubbers to the inner fenders? are they pop rivets?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I recently had to R&R the radiator in our '61 and my wife asked why I removed a couple of bolts and re-installed them from the other side. This gave me the idea of snapping a few pics and creating a thread showing why I chose to do it that way. I am not sure if this is the best way or not....but this is the way that worked for me so I thought I'd share it with the folks on the forum.

I'll list the basic steps I used for installation. Removal would be reverse order once the fluids were drained and hoses disconnected....
  1. Set shroud in place, resting gently on the fan.
  2. Thread in two upper bolts from the front side of the radiator support (facing rearwards)
  3. Install the overflow hose onto the radiator (if you are using that method)
  4. Lower radiator into place and hang on two bolt studs installed earlier.
  5. Position the shroud into place
  6. Use a drift punch to help align holes and install 4 lower bolts (two each side)
  7. Remove 2 upper bolts and re-install in correct orientation.
  8. Let me know if I missed anything....:)
Hopefully this thread will help someone. :cheers

View attachment 33344 View attachment 33345 View attachment 33346 View attachment 33347 View attachment 33348 View attachment 33349

Why didn't do tihs with the rest of your car????? I was waiting for someone to draw me a picture......:clap......:drinking......nice work.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Great suggestion, my question is; what did you use to attach the rubbers to the inner fenders? are they pop rivets?

Yeah, I was going to try and recreate the staples but I got frustrated so I decided to pop-rivet them on. I know it's not original looking but the staples weren't really that tidy looking so I figured this would work better. I am debating on painting them black but I think I'll just leave them alone for now and see if it bothers me any. :)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I use the big T-50 staples and re-use the old holes in the skirt. They go in easily and can be rolled over on the ends like original with needle nose pliers.