Instrument cluster

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Finally got the cluster for the 64 K20 that I'm building the 4" stroker 348 for.View attachment 116840
Are you going to use that tach. If so did you get the sender unit with it??? You putting in clock in place of air gauge??? I had one and did not get sender so I sold it. I just mounted a sun 6000 to the steering column and much simpler .

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
The earliest ones used the sender 60-61 by 62 they had switched to the type that didn't use the sender,I'm up in the air about the air pressure gage on whether to use it or to put a factory vacuum gage in it I have one of those too. I've been kicking around mounting a York A/C compressor and an air tank and lines so that I can add air to tires and maybe put a train horn on the truck.

427John

Well Known Member
Very nice. Man I gotta get another 64-66 in this lifetime. Hopefully a suburban with barn doors:pray I miss looking at that dash every day. No way a 5 grand redline is for a diesel, right??
While the engine will be capable of more, my build will be focused on low end power and I won't spin it any more than that, besides the old SM420 and divorced tcase 4wd system probably wouldn't appreciate 5000+ rpm shifts.The 5 grand electric tach was for the 6 and V8 gas engines,they both used the same tach but it was calibrated either for a 6 or a V8 something to do with resistors inside,this one was out of a V8 truck.Most of the diesel trucks from that timeframe used a cable drive tach.

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
the old SM420 and divorced tcase 4wd system probably wouldn't appreciate 5000+ rpm shifts.

No probably not:D Neat truck post some pics. Rockwell 221 right? Or Timken 221? Can you even get a gasket set for that thing anymore? Pretty stout gear to gear deal like a 205 I think, but I've never had one.

427John

Well Known Member
No probably not:D Neat truck post some pics. Rockwell 221 right? Or Timken 221? Can you even get a gasket set for that thing anymore? Pretty stout gear to gear deal like a 205 I think, but I've never had one.
Yeah I've heard them called both rockwell and timken but thats the t case, its been a couple of years but I've been able to find parts recently.I was able to pickup a spare that had been rebuilt and stumbled across another rebuilt married one in a 67 or 68 K20 in our local pick and pull it was someones unfinished project that they ended up hauling off for scrap. I've heard people say that it was the predecessor of the NP205 and wouldn't be surprised if it was,so maybe it is stronger than I give it credit for.Its not much to look at just an old farmtruck but I like it. 14249947_1287920601218522_3184569461474447272_o.jpg14231329_1287920834551832_1243999339356006245_o.jpg

427John

Well Known Member
The thing I like the most about driving it is people aren't as likely to pull out in front of you forcing you to cram on the brakes, they see that old beast rolling down the road and question how good the brakes are and whether or not I have insurance so will usually wait. I swapped the front D44 for a square body open knuckle disc brake version so it turns and stops pretty good.