Intake Gasket Installation Question - Small Block

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok gang, question. I read the good and the bad about using the rubber valley gaskets that Felpro provide with their kit. I see some like using these preformed gaskets, then others saying to throw them in the garbage and use a 1/4” bead of red rtv gasket maker in its place.

Everything is stock except the manifold is an Edelbrock 2703.

Thanks for your opinion!!8E12E928-5A98-451A-8AC2-7342C2F1B2D9.jpeg

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That’s what I thought. Here’s the mechanical engineer in me talking now.... it seems if the valley gaps aren’t perfect and has clearances equal to the thickness of the rubber gaskets, the intake will distort/crush the gasket incorrectly. The durometer of the rubber seems really high for a good seal to take place.

Looks like I’m throwing my rubbers in the trash ;)

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Many variables come into play regarding intake gasket sets. On Stock Eliminator motors, in order to achieve optimal results,much machine work is involved. Decking blocks, heads, and correcting deck angle deficiencies sometimes results in the intake not wanting to fit right unless it too is resurfaced on the intake gasket flange surfaces, as well as the intake side of the heads. Once all surfaces are correct and flat, the front and rear intake gaskets might have to be way thinner or thicker than the neoprene rubber or cork replacement gaskets are as produced, so a bead of Ultra Copper RTV from Permatex is the way to fly.If excess is observed squeezing out of the front and rear of the intake, allow it to cure completely, even for a few days,before trimming it. Nobody likes oil leaks,especially from the front and rear of the intake where you might not be able to see it, let alone fix it.

tenxal

Well Known Member
The best I've found is Valco brand. I use their aluminum silicone on everything from intake end rails to oil pan bolts (Dart blocks leak w/o sealer on oil pan bolts) to header flanges (eliminating the gaskets). They also make it in black.

Good stuff!