Intake Gaskets

DDay1

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if the intake gaskets on a low horsepower 348 and a 350 horsepower engine are the same? I've seen some supposedly high performance intake gaskets for sale on E-Bay.:dunno

DDay1

Well Known Member
HiPo Gaskets

Where can I find some HiPo gaskets? I've checked with the local parts store and they only list one set of FelPro gaskets. Don't even have a listing for the HiPo gasket set.:bow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The lopo 348 250 hp intake gaskets and the 350 hp hipo gaskets are the same. All the 348 intake gaskets are the same from 1958 through 1961. The Fel Pro sets come through with two sets of intake gaskets, one set for 348 and 409 lopo heads and one set for 409 690/583 heads!

DDay1

Well Known Member
348 Intake Gaskets

Seems to be a controversy here. Models says the hipo and lopo 348 heads are different and Fatride says they are the same. Can anyone give me a definitive answer?:dunno

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7

All 348 gaskets are the same. I thought you ment real HiPo like 690 heads. There are 3 styles of W heads, 348/lo po 409, HiPo 409 (680 type), and Z11 high port. Sorry for the confusion.

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
What heads do you have? Cause mine are the 333 heads so I have the Hipo intake manifold gaskets left over from my FEL_PRO set.

DDay1

Well Known Member
I'm not sure of the head numbers, haven't had the valve covers in about a year, but my block is the FH code, 350 horse with 3X2 setup.:coffee:

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
You will probably need the smaller gaskets as (I think) the 3x2 set up has the smaller ports and only used on lopo engines......
I could be wrong as I am just learning these beast too

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Their are two pair of intake gaskets in the Fel Pro set. One pair fit the 348 and lopo 409 heads including the three two heads and the 333 truck heads, the other pair fit the 690 and 583 409 heads.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here's another way you can look at it. Any 348 or 409 that was rated at 360 hp or less had the small port heads and any engine that had more than 360 hp had big port heads.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That is actually the part# for just the 348/340hp 409 intake set. You're right, Fatride, the complete gasket set does come with both. Not to mention a bunch of other gaskets that you may or may not need!!!
Ross

M

MK IISS

Some of the confusion lies with the fact that back in 1961 the heads used on the hi-perf. 348s( 305, 340 and 350 horsepower) and the 1961 409/360 were also called "high performance" heads because they had larger valves than the lower horsepower 348s. However these heads still had the smaller intake ports and they are now considered by most as "low-perf." heads

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is that Hi-Pro or low-perf?

Or hi-Perf and low-pro or lo-perf or high-po or,,,, AWHHHH nevermind,,,:takethat

DDay1

Well Known Member
One more question while we're on the subject. I live in South Carolina, so it gets hot in the summer. I have trouble with the gas boiling in the carb on hot days after the engine is shutdown, making it hard to start the next time you crank it. Would'nt it be a good idea to plug the exhaust port from each head that heat the base of the center carb? I,ve got some stainless steel shim stock about .025 thick I could cut to plug the holes.:dunno. I've seen some small block intake sets come with these block off shims.:bow

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got the exhaust crossover blocked on my 409. It may not completely solve your carb boiling problems but it's got to help. The crossover helps the car run better when it's cold but if you only drive the car in the summer you hardly notice the difference.