interesting 1959 bisqwk

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Ran across this last night, I'm sure its been posted before: http://www.spudsgarage.com/vehicles/59ChevDragBob/index.htm

The rear suspension is quite interesting. Adjustable (single) upper with that slapper bar. It works apparently, 1.50 60ft.s dipping into the 1.40's. Lots of tire gear and converter, but still pretty stout.

054.jpg

055.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Sounds awesome.....love them 59's,thanks for that.apparently the suspension works......

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Very cool. Interesting front shock arrangement. Looks kinda greasy throughout the whole under carriage. That'll keep it from rusting!! Says it is just a 402. Just think if you slid a stroked 454 short block under those heads/intake. Would be even cooler with a 348 stroker or 409 though.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Those 402's like the rpms. Apparently. My buddy had a 13-1 402 based engine with small chamber rectangle port heads, lightly ported. Solid flat tappet. Thing would hit 7000 with a whack of the throttle. SBC like response. Gotta love short stroke engines.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
It would make a good race for Charlie Kuenster's 59 :beer
http://www.superchevy.com/features/1306-1959-chevy-impala-back-in-the-day/

Charlie's car also has some suspension mods and it has done some really good 60' times.
I can't remember exactly what he said his best 60' time was. :scratch I do remember it was really quick for a full weight car. I'm thinking it was right around 1.40 flat. :scratch

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/charlie-kuenster-kicks-a-w-powered.21684/page-2

Looks like ladder bars:

Cordova-Lead.jpg

1959-chevy-el-camino.jpg

BAD ASS picture:
DM_Charlie_Jerry-Kuenster.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm not sure but thought I'd read where Charlie's son raced a 409 Elcamino,wonder if that's it in the pic....???

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd spray it into the 9s
I agree. I have always been a Naturally Aspirated racer, but have helped friends with nitrous set-ups. Costs too much to replace a hurt engine for me which is inevitable when using giggle juice. The thing about the one above is that since it's just a 402 you could replace the bottom end without a lot of expense. Would be a good excuse to go with a lot more cubic inches too.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
I'd spray it into the 9s

Just to do that it would need less converter and gear. 5.13's and a 5500 stall, even a 100 shot in a 4000lbs. car would probably blow that converter in half.

Ive sprayed a few motors. Tuning starts to be come important once you starting getting over the 150hp mark with a v-8 engine. The 100 shot on my 4 cyl. daily driver was still the most fun though.

I have a friend with a 350 in a 2nd gen fbody. Stock rods and crank, .030 over with old (i mean like 80's) forged pistons he bought at a swap meet for almost nothing. Hydraulic flat tappet cam -fairly mild, and a set of "camel hump" heads he ported himeslf. Car runs 11.80's on motor. One kit #1 (roughly a 275 shot) It dips into the mid 10's and on kit #2 (closer to 300) its going high 9's. The 2nd kit has only been used 10-20 times. Hes put more bottles than he can count through this motor, literally in the 1000's he claims. Still runs strong.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This car is so cool I feel like it needs to be changed just a little bit to make it more street worthy. Less gear, little less converter like 4200 rpm stall and a dumped stock-style tank. Don't get me wrong it's awesome I just would want to street drive the hell out of it.

My buddy just did a stock stainless tank with a sump he made and it turned out really nice. He's running a 12.5:1 555" big block in a sleeper 63 impala, Glide, 4000 rpm Neal Chance converter, mini tubs 10" Hoosiers, full weight big girl. Hasn't been to the track yet since they wanted to put some miles on it last fall. Not sure which gear they have in it at the moment but it's got a 9". I'd guess the car should be good for low 10s on motor. They'll spray it eventually I'm sure.