Interesting

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We went to a local car show about 30 miles to the south last night. Out of the 25 or so cars, there were to 09's I started talking to the owner of the other car and ( This is where it gets interesting) he has a 427 crank and rods, all machined for the 409 . As for the price, he said " we'll talk about that . I don't talk price for anything when the wife in within ear shot.
My motors been run hard for 33 yrs. and it should be rebuilt. any thoughts on why I should or should not stoke it?
Any ideas on what a good price would be?

( he also has a 09 car block with the common crack)

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
jester, I think the key to this deal is if the crankshaft has trully been machined. Cutting the main journals is one thing, but the counterweights are the problem. Have the counterwights been reduced to fit a block.? If not, your machine shop will hit you pretty hard because it takes time. If it is a "drop in crank" then why not accept the extra inches? Pistons are the same price as 409 forged so the expense is the crankshaft. The $200 for balancing is another cost. The re-build on your present motor is not gonna be cheap, so for a few hundred more you can add some hp with more inches. 33 year service from the same motor???? You are way ahead of the game, go ahead and spend the money.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Do It

New BBC Eagle rods $260.00 Modified BBC crank $900.00 Stroker pistons $700.00 Added HP + torque priceless