Interior chrome

kingudaroad

I am very lucky that most of the interior trim on my 61 Impala is in great shape. I do need to get some items fixed. The rear view mirror, visor brackets, dome light housing, and coat hooks are all badly pitted. The chrome on the door panel reflectors have peeled also.

Is it cost effective to have these items re-plated, or am I best just going with repop parts from south east wherever?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Your call

I have found that plating small items can be very expensive, more than the cost of the repop. Unless you are trying to be factory original, I would keep the originals in long term storage and go with inexpensive repops for those small items. If you ever wanted to go back with originals you can always take that project on at some later date.

Good luck!

TomK

bobs409

Administrator
Pot metal parts like visor brackets and mirror brackets suck! Even if you have them redone, they could pit very quickly. Pot metal is very porous which causes the pits.

I bought repro parts like door handles that pitted in less than 6 months. So to sum it up, I hate pot metal! I bet the vendors love it though, they can sell you the same parts over and over and over... :grumble:

Bob

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pot metal parts like visor brackets and mirror brackets suck! Even if you have them redone, they could pit very quickly. Pot metal is very porous which causes the pits.

I bought repro parts like door handles that pitted in less than 6 months. So to sum it up, I hate pot metal! I bet the vendors love it though, they can sell you the same parts over and over and over... :grumble:

Bob

Bob, Its kind of like poker. I think that is what the venders refer to as "Sweeten the Pot"....:roll:roll:roll