interior

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My 62 SS has a fawn interior in it. Where can I find paint to match the dash and the rear seat filler panels. Are both of those pieces painted the same color and gloss level? I just want it to look correct.:dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought mine at the local Auto Body supply. They matched to the under side of one of the moldings (Fawn Beige Metallic). The gloss is semi.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
When I needed paint for the 63 tach assembly and column I used the chip charts at, http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1963-chevrolet-pg02.jpg , to get the paint number. The paint distributor then has to call the PPG paint library since it isn't in the system and have the formula faxed to them. The 62 chips don't show interior trim colors like the 63 but mine was also Dark Fawn.

The color matched mine with no problem. The formula shown also included the correct amount of flatner mixed right into the paint.

Probably no one wants to answer because I don't think anyone has all the answers to interior colors and doesn't want to be the one to give you the wrong information.

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I needed paint for the 63 tach assembly and column I used the chip charts at, http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1963-chevrolet-pg02.jpg , to get the paint number. The paint distributor then has to call the PPG paint library since it isn't in the system and have the formula faxed to them. The 62 chips don't show interior trim colors like the 63 but mine was also Dark Fawn.

The color matched mine with no problem. The formula shown also included the correct amount of flatner mixed right into the paint.

Probably no one wants to answer because I don't think anyone has all the answers to interior colors and doesn't want to be the one to give you the wrong information.

Bill

This is exactly what the supplier I used did. I did have the paint number for the exterior and, as cheymuslecars said the interior colors were not available for 1961 so I took one of the interior moldings off. We checked that against the exterior paint code and then matched it.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nobody has anything good to say? Even bad would be ok.:roll

I took the lid for my BelAir *** tray in and they matched it. Came out pretty close but not exact, but since I was doning the while thing anyway, it worked fine.

Bill

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
gettiing closer

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I will give them a try. If I get a good color match I will post my findings so others will have an easier time. Thanks for all the help.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Flat surrface

My paint guy was able to match the interior color fairly close by scanning a piece of the original color. It needs to be flat, like an ash tray or a glove box. The scanner doesn't work well with curved surfaces (like trim, the shift column, etc.).

I redid my 62s when I converted from automatics to floor shift units, and used parts from the Belair, as the SS has lots of bright pieces in those same locations. Both were Aqua, and the result is fairly close. I left the dashes, as they were in good shape. I figure these parts might have been painted by different vendors back in 1962 anyway :).

Good luck on your color matching!

TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My paint guy was able to match the interior color fairly close by scanning a piece of the original color. It needs to be flat, like an ash tray or a glove box. The scanner doesn't work well with curved surfaces (like trim, the shift column, etc.).

I redid my 62s when I converted from automatics to floor shift units, and used parts from the Belair, as the SS has lots of bright pieces in those same locations. Both were Aqua, and the result is fairly close. I left the dashes, as they were in good shape. I figure these parts might have been painted by different vendors back in 1962 anyway :).

Good luck on your color matching!

TomK

My 61' Bel-Air's A & B pillar garnish moldings are a different color (fawn) than the front and rear window and headliner moldings (copper) with the rear seat filler panels being fawn. Has anyone else experienced this?:dunno Same thing with the steering wheel. Steering wheel is fawn while the column is copper as well as the dash. I am wondering about putting it back this way so it looks authentic...:scratch

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian,
Here's the color chart for 61 from the 1961 Chevrolet New Product Information Manual. I don't have one for 62, but I don't think there were many changes. Chevy published one of these manuals for each new year model. If you find one for 62, you should grab it.
The chart has notes explaining the difference in interior shades/gloss. Somewhere I have more info in a Service Bulletin, explaining the different gloss levels on the dash. If I find it, I'll post.
Hope this helps.
:coffee:
61PaintChart.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't know if this is the reference I mentioned or not. I believe the one I was thinking of was from 62 or 63 and more specific. In general, they used a lightly flatter gloss on the dash to prevent glare.
This is from the Chevrolet Service News Bulletin dated February, 1960, lower right paragraph.

Antiglarepaint.jpg

:coffee:

Here's the 67 paint chart showing the different gloss levels in use which probably represent generally what has been used since 60.
RefinishInterior1967Custom.jpg

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thanks everyone and Cecil too! I gave my paint guy the info. We will see what he comes to the shop with.