Into the 12`s !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did it !!! not by much ,,,BUT,,, I did it!

Saturday:
Things didn`t work out like I thought but thats racing !!
I figured stuff would work different after the changes made last week but as it goes it was start from scratch on getting everything to dial in.

Now that I have more air the secondaries bogged big time on the first timing run out of the hole so I let up and stabbed her again only to bog again,,,, only getting in the mid 14`s,,, pppp,uuuuuuuuu !!

O Well, thinking I had all day to try different stuff.

Popped the stacks and tightened the secondaries,,,,LOVE THESE AVS`s !!!
Second run still a bog but not as bad,,, into the 13`s again ,better but bummed.

Then the bad news,,,, Time trials over !! ONLY two runs each !!
I had to pay ten more dollars to run in the Dash for cash eliminations,,, winner takes all. Thats fine and dandy buy it should be trials all day.

Tightened the secondaries even more and the next pass was GREAT !! No bog and into the mid 13`s again, almost where I was last week.
Was winning the first round but knew I was going to break out so let her up and darn if I didn`t let up too soon and lost on the dail in.
O well again ,,,thats racing,,, :?

Meet and enjoyed my new best friends !! :D Paul (garbageman) and Sandy Carbaugh from the Oregon coast and Steve Geagory and his wife (sorry Steve I`m spacing your wifes name) and their friends.

GREAT folks,,, the kind you feel like you`ve known for years and they treat you the same !!!

Anyway, Paul was having the same problems with the bog as me but is using the AFB`s which you can`t adjust.
Then there`s Steve,,, our mentor !! heeee heee
His single carb stock stroke `09 runs in the mid 11`s and is consistent !!!
Both Pauls and Steve`s cars are super nice !!

Sunday:

Good news we get two more trial runs !!

First run tighten the secondaries more and heated the converter up good and now have several hundred more launching rpm.
Looking better.
My reaction times have been good ,,,in the .040 and .030`s

Paul was trying different things and got the bog to go away with a lower launch rpm and more air in the tires for a little spin off the line.
Steve? ,,,,, well he just kept us impressed !! And a ball to watch !!

The air got better and we all started running faster !
With the stall getting higher my reaction times were getting too good and lit the wrong lite !!! (red)

Eliminations started ,,,,,

I set my dial in at 13.22 not having the time runs to try any thing else like jetting after spending the other runs working on the bog.

Got the launch rpm in the high 3`s and took off better then ever and she ran smoother then ever before through all gears !!!
I knew I was going to break out but kept my foot through the floor !!!
Besides,,,,red light !! by .038

12.99 @ 103.23,, 60ft @1.861 !!!!!! :D :D :D

I know with some more runs on the Friday nites when I can get at least 6 or 7 runs I`ll be able to try more stuff and get a few more tenths off !!

All in all it was a great time and I`m happy !!
Only better times to come !!

Paul got into the low 13`s , 13.20 I believe :cheers and should be running neck and neck with me next time we meet up. :beerbang

And Steve,,,,,, 11.55 !!! :bow

Me just starting my burn out,,,,,,,

58258610.jpg

Steve coming off the line,,,

58258598.jpg

The posse,,,,,,,,

58258605.jpg

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Jim, I'm glad to see you got us all in the pic. You ought to show the flames on Dave's 63', they're rightous. The Oldies but Goodies at Woodburn Dragstrip is a great event and everyone who's close enough should join us at the track (it's a two day event.

Jim, I'm gunna for you now.

If anyone has experienced bogging off the launch please send me some help. I'm runninig dual Carter AFB Competitions with every thing set to the rebuild spec sheet.
I just started running Goodyear slicks (D5) (15 -17psi) and I'm tried launching between 4000 and 5000 rpm but it bites and bogs. I raised the psi to 22 and launched at 3000 rpm which got me off the line with quite a bit of tire spin. It was suggested that I need to raise the float levels to add more fuel to the bowls. I'll be trying that next.

I can't let Jim get away with that 12.99.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Paul, Robert took all the pictures while we were racing,,,,
And the one he said he got of you was that white topped car !!!
SEVERAL TIMES !!! AND,,, they were the best pictures he took !!! gurrrr :takethat

Brian was saying that the floats being too high might also cause the bog.
Also you failed to mention that your secondary flappers are removed.

Like I said ,,,I HAVE the cure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AVS`s !!!! heeee heee

catch me if you can,,,,,,

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
The secondary butterflies are still in place, I removed the choke butterflies.

Tell Brian he's fired.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Geezzzz :doh

OK,,,, but they still are opening too soon !! heee heee

Here`s that picture of Dave`s flames !! REALLY NICE !!!

And my new girl friend !!,,,,dq

58271515.jpg

aaaa,,, I mean,,,,,Paul and Sandy`s daughter,,,, a real sweet girl !!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Awesome DQ, I was wondering how you did. You sure are getting that 409 running good.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Into the 12's!!

Jim
Way to go, you made it, It's all down hill from here. Before you know it you will be in the 11's. :clap :clap :clap

Garageman
I take it that is a 4 speed car. Before raising float level, just check for correct level. could try a heavy weight aux valve in the secondary. The correct aux valve for a "09" application has cut out in the in the counter weight part number 221-39, 221-40 stamped in to the weights. Its also possible that you putting to much fuel in the motor on launch. Check the squirter size, it maybe to large also check that it is spraying correctly. If you have mulitple holes on the pump arm, try changing to a different postion. :?
Trial and error
Allen

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
" Then there`s Steve,,, our mentor !! heeee heee
His single carb stock stroke `09 runs in the mid 11`s and is consistent !!! "

Steve's times are outstanding. Do you happen to know what setup he uses. Like tranny, gears, cam, compression etc. It must be a combination of well chosen parts and good tuning. :deal

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim, I`ll get more info on Steve`s car but what I do know is he uses every trick in the book.
Like thin wheel bearing grease, and other cool stuff.

He uses a stock modified single four manifold with a holley carb and says it works better then the dual four he used before.

The compression is 12.5-1 , trans is a TH400 and 9" rear. Gears I don`t remember but Paul might know. Paul?

He has removed the inner fenders, added fiberglass bumpers, stripped the interior upholstery and uses a light weight race seat.

A super clean job and car. ,,,,, dq