INtroduction

harold701

I am restoring a 1962 impala for the second time. It was a sport coupe but a friend was junking his 62 SS and gave me all the SS parts. Originally a the car was a 289 with a power glide transmission. I redid the drivetrain with a bored and balanced 1965 327, backed by a muncie M21 and 1964 posi. The combination is great, but I have always wanted a 409. I now have a 511 hp bored and stroked 409 to go in it. I am planning on keeping the muncie and the posi. I am looking for some help in making this new combination work.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am restoring a 1962 impala for the second time. It was a sport coupe but a friend was junking his 62 SS and gave me all the SS parts. Originally a the car was a 289 with a power glide transmission. I redid the drivetrain with a bored and balanced 1965 327, backed by a muncie M21 and 1964 posi. The combination is great, but I have always wanted a 409. I now have a 511 hp bored and stroked 409 to go in it. I am planning on keeping the muncie and the posi. I am looking for some help in making this new combination work.
We all love to upgrade. Welcome aboard. There are all kinds of ideas to be had and every combination has been tried by one of us as some point. Give us some specs on the engine. We love details. Pictures of the build or the engine itself is good too. If you have the wrong plugs we will help you get the right combination of any parts you need or want. Like Don said, keep the traction to a minimum. Hook once with that combo and you will brake lots of stuff. Welcome on board.

Georgia boy

Before I retired in 2008 I purchased a 61 impala sport coupe in 2003. It was a driver for a couple of years with the original 283 and holes in the floor pans; so I decided to repair the pans and various other small places. Well I found a lot more places than I expected, preceded to disassemble the the whole car. Found old school bondo work throughout. To make story short I ended up taking it off the frame and restoring it to what is now known as a restomod. I think I did a fair job of it for not having ever built a car before only 67-72 C/10 trucks. Attached is a picture.DSCN1471.JPG

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Very nice looking 61 SS :good. Welcome to the forum Georgia boy, you will find more info here than you can imagine and pictures are enjoyed by all. I always liked 61's as a buddy of mine in high school had one with a 283 three speed, I think that was the first car that I rode in that was fast (maybe the way he drove it, Lol).

Last edited: