Iowa 348/409 Drag Race July 23,24, & 25 at Onawa Dragway $ 4000 payout now….to the racers

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Paul/Randy (I have met you both in person) I will attend, I have my 409/340 not race quality power but, nonetheless I would love to attend, meet some of the guys in here in person. Obviously from Des Moines so not that far for me. I have a self contained RV/Motor home, generator, water etc, 36' I think I seen no hook ups, will they have any issues with my on board generator running? (Hot that time of the year, need AC) or should I plan for a room somewhere? I just seen this tonight so, I know nothing as of yet, FEES Etc?. I would love to start planning.

How many people can I bring with? Grandparents/ spouse would love to come as well?

Sounds exciting!!!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Paul/Randy (I have met you both in person) I will attend, I have my 409/340 not race quality power but, nonetheless I would love to attend, meet some of the guys in here in person. Obviously from Des Moines so not that far for me. I have a self contained RV/Motor home, generator, water etc, 36' I think I seen no hook ups, will they have any issues with my on board generator running? (Hot that time of the year, need AC) or should I plan for a room somewhere? I just seen this tonight so, I know nothing as of yet, FEES Etc?. I would love to start planning.

How many people can I bring with? Grandparents/ spouse would love to come as well?

Sounds exciting!!!

Correct Dates are Friday July 23 (Friday), July 24th, and July 25th (Sunday) -
Onawa Dragway has named their race that weekend -I am asking to add us to the title...
Hot Rod Havoc plus Fast Freds Foot Brake Including Nostalgia Super Stock AFX Cars & Nostalgia Gassers Racing Assoc.

Onawa website
https://www.onawaracing.com/

Onawa facebook
https://www.facebook.com/DRAGRACEinONAWA/

Look at my February 14th post on the track and race on page 1.
  • We get free entry for the racer and one guest.
  • I am guessing others would just be to pay spectator entry. I will provide a list of other coming from 348/409 attending with cars not racing to the track so you can enter on the paved racers entry road to the pit area
  • I will find out if those not racing get in free I am guessing one for sure (I told them we would have attendees who would bring 409 cars but not to race)
  • I am sure your motor home can run for A/C (there will be others at the race who will ).
  • Note that you can come on Friday July 23rd
This week I am after a large local sponsor $ for the race at least $ 1000
(maybe I can get multiple sponsors??)

Paul Stensland

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Sounds exciting!!!
You have my number (515-850-8234) Give me a call and I can help you with a game plan to come play. I might have my dad and my wife's dad as my crew that weekend. Not sure yet if the rest of the family will come watch but either way it should be a blast. There are a few tips and tricks to having fun at these drag races. I highly recommend you make it down to Eddyville with me a few times this spring/summer before the race at Onawa. Get your feet wet going down the track and working out any bugs before hand. They are both 8th mile tracks so its great practice. I'm going to try and make it to all of the test and tune sessions I can so maybe 6-8 before Onawa comes up. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HP! I currently have 300hp on a good day in my wagon and its an absolute blast. You will have me beat each time down the strip unless I can catch you sleeping or you miss a shift. Either way, it will be so much fun. Give me a buzz and we can chat more.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My list current list of racing attendees for July 23 (test on Friday), 24th and 25th
I think I have this right
  1. Paul Stensland 62 Impala SS
  2. Randy Johnson 64 Chevy Wagon
  3. Dave Coots 64 Impala
  4. Barry Taylor 63 Impala
  5. Ralph Dehne - 63 Chevy
  6. Joel Schneeweis 62 Chevy
  7. James Schrader - 62 chevy Salt shaker ?
  8. Iowa 409 - Chevy
Others & Show List
  1. Robert Street (show) 61 Chevy
  2. Bob Walla ?
  3. any colorado guys or other out west guys - Joel Czopek ?
  4. Kansas ? Oklahoma?
  5. Tom K ?
I know at least 3 -409 guys from my home town Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Paul

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My list current list of racing attendees for July 23 (test on Friday), 24th and 25th
I think I have this right
  1. Paul Stensland 62 Impala SS
  2. Randy Johnson 64 Chevy Wagon
  3. Dave Coots 64 Impala
  4. Barry Taylor 63 Impala
  5. Ralph Dehne - 63 Chevy
  6. Joel Schneeweis 62 Chevy
  7. James Schrader - 62 chevy Salt shaker ?
  8. Iowa 409 - Chevy- Michael Auch-1964 Impala SS
Others & Show List
  1. Robert Street (show) 61 Chevy
  2. Bob Walla ?
  3. any colorado guys or other out west guys - Joel Czopek ?
  4. Kansas ? Oklahoma?
  5. Tom K ?
I know at least 3 -409 guys from my home town Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Paul, thanks for taking the lead on this, sounds like a lot of fun, and
some wild stories to be told and heard. Im thinking of hauling the
CASHguzzler to the event, and wondered where most of the members
are staying?. Would like to be with the group that doesn't drink, tells
no lies, goes to bed early, and has no fun. Let me know so I can make
early reservations.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yea I saw that Motel online, close to the drag strip, I'll give it a look again. thanks... hope to see you there. never ran the car down the track yet, well? that's not the whole truth, but that's another story that Phil will probably chime in on. loL:laugh2

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Nice to hear from you Phil, I knew you'd remember ! that one.:facepalm After getting my front
seat buckled down, I had the engine rebuilt, and it runs like a true 409 now. Im going to
the Woodburn show in June, not sure if I'll make the long trip back East. It would be
a great time, but my long time friend that came with me to Kentucky had a stroke and
can't come on trips anymore, so a solo trip wouldn't be the same. We'll see. I know you'll
have a great time with great guys. stan

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Getting close to race date. Been out once with car & running pretty good. Need a few more races to remember how to race again, long delay between events. Do they sell 110 racing fuel? Would be easier if didn't have to bring my own. Hope we get some more racers. Long distance to travel, about 999 miles for me according to my trip planner. See you all soon. Take care.

Joel

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No doubt this "Family Reunion" is made possible by the drag racing community but we want the STREET CARS to come out and either race or just show off their cars too. I keep hoping someone will bring an old dually dump truck with a 348-409 in it and make passes! The speed doesn't matter much. Just imagine setting at the line waiting for the green light for 20 seconds when the dump truck is less than 100' from the finish doing 40mph in a bracket race. :lmao It wouldn't take much to loose against a dump truck or a bus. LOL!