Iowa 348/409 Drag Race July 23,24, & 25 at Onawa Dragway $ 4000 payout now….to the racers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I was asked to see if there is interest in having a center of the nation 348/409 Race similar to the one we had in 2018 at Earlville.

Onawa Dragway is about 5 hours further west of Earlville, right on the border with Nebraska right off I-29.
We have I-80 about 80 miles south and and I-90 120 miles north. We also have Highway 20 which is 4 lane from Waterloo and Cedar Falls.

I spoke with the track manager today and he suggested August 15th and August 16th, 2021 when they are to have Nostalgia drag race that weekend.
He said we can run our own class was very interested in having us come to the track.

I will get more details in a few weeks. There are a over 20 motels not to far away. Sioux City & Sergeant Bluff , Iowa has plenty only 25 miles north.
One good sized motel in Onawa (used to be a Super 8)

Large building at start line - Air conditioned - restrooms, concession building (eat inside)
Entrance road for racers is paved off County paved road -track is only about 1 mile south of Onawa -was originally a 3500 foot long airport runway.

Onawa Dragway website -IHRA track
https://www.onawaracing.com/

Aerial View of track -concrete -smooth... currently running 1/8 mile
https://www.facebook.com/DRAGRACEinONAWA/photos/

Paul

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was asked to see if there is interest in having a center of the nation 348/409 Race similar to the one we had in 2018 at Earlville.

Onawa Dragway is about 5 hours further west of Earlville, right on the border with Nebraska right off I-29.
We have I-80 about 80 miles south and and I-90 120 miles north. We also have Highway 20 which is 4 lane from Waterloo and Cedar Falls.

I spoke with the track manager today and he suggested August 15th and August 16th, 2021 when they are to have Nostalgia drag race that weekend.
He said we can run our own class was very interested in having us come to the track.

I will get more details in a few weeks. There are a over 20 motels not to far away. Sioux City & Sergeant Bluff , Iowa has plenty only 25 miles north.
One good sized motel in Onawa (used to be a Super 8)

Large building at start line - Air conditioned - restrooms, concession building (eat inside)
Entrance road for racers is paved off County paved road -track is only about 1 mile south of Onawa -was originally a 3500 foot long airport runway.

Onawa Dragway website -IHRA track
https://www.onawaracing.com/

Aerial View of track -concrete -smooth... currently running 1/8 mile
https://www.facebook.com/DRAGRACEinONAWA/photos/

Paul
Paul,
I'll help any way I can. My wife's family is from The Council Bluffs area so would be pretty easy for me to come and bring a crew. Its the weekend of 14th-15th. (Sat-Sun.)

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The further west you go the less cars there are. At Dave’s race and the get together I had, most cars came from the east. Go further west and I think the turn out would be very small.
That may be true about actual racers but not true about the weekend warriors that hit the track every now and then or have never raced but might. I know several guys that would show up if we were talking Eddyville but that is South East of Des Moines by an hour.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Crap the 15 & 16 aren't going to work. They just scheduled the IBS Nationals during those dates at Camillus, NY.
That sucks! Would be fun to get the whole Iowa gang together. Never know, another weekend might work better for everyone else too. We have plenty of time to plan, besides the weekend of AUGUST 14th/15th (Sat-Sun) maybe be to late in the year for us.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Important Update we can and will have at Race - ON July 24 and July 25th at the Onawa Dragway -Onawa, Iowa Just of I-29
25 miles south of Sioux City Iowa and 60 miles north of Omaha, Nebraska.

The track changed the date to not conflict with other dragstrips to draw more cars.

From the Onawa Dragway Schedule -title for the event - I think we would make the event list.
July 24th and July 25th,2021 -- Hot Rod Havoc plus Fast Freds Foot Brake Including Nostalgia Super Stock AFX Cars & Nostalgia Gassers Racing Assoc.

The Onawa Dragway operators are long time drag racers and talk to and know a large majority of the track operators including Rock & Race in Ohio. She knew about the 348/409 Rock and Race race in Ohio when I talked to her today

Track will be open(you can come on Friday ).

They run test and tune (at Night) on Friday July 24th -track is currently 1/8 mile all concrete and is prepped for racing
You can park at the track -but they do not have hookups

We have been offered by the Onawa track operators the following
  1. Our group will get a free tech card for the racer/owner and one crew person free
  2. We can run as a group in time trials and elimination's
  3. The track will provide special trophy's for the 348/409 winners and runner up on Saturday and Sunday - (I will get a picture of the trophy's they will hand out)
  4. They also want to announce information on the cars during the races -assuming our 348/409 owners give them facts that they can announce
  5. For those bringing 348/409 cars that do not race, if we provide the list of attendees they will let them park with the racers -the track will be given a list from us who is attending to let 348/409 cars in on the paved entry road (no gravel.......)This is the same road that the racers use and is marked racers only on the paved County Road east of the track.
There will be A/FX Nostalgia cars running from Colorado as a group and Gassers at the event, regular bracket racers and a foot brake race
It is possible that the track will have multiple jet cars that weekend (the jet cars run at night )

Randy Johnson (1964 SuperStocker) is helping me promote the event.
We are looking for sponsors for this July 24/25 348/409 event -I have numerous options to ask as does Randy have thoughts
Randy is making a flyer for the event

We are publishing this event in our local 2000 member Classic Car Strollers (loop night )group to promote spectators. Randy & I will promote the race to 348/409 owners to bring their cars even if they do not race. Note the free entry if we know you are coming.... I know a number of 348/409 racers within about 150/200 miles as Randy knows a number of them.

I will start the lists of attendees now -some have said they will come already from my previous posts

Paul