Is the the floor panel piece I need?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After the body came back from the blaster, I noticed a lot more rust than I expected.

One place I've been having a problem finding a panel to replace is the behind the main floor pan. In the 59 El Camino, it is where the transition from cab to bed is made.

Once I can get the picture off my phone, I'll post a copy of it.

I think this is the correct part but I'd like a quick double check before spending the money:
https://www.impalaparts.com/products/5960FPURS/1959-60-FLOOR-PAN-UNDER

Because of the curves and angles, my body guy says it would be close to six hours to recreate just part of what is needed. I know the part doesn't state El Camino specifically, but it looks darn close, certainly enough to cut out several hours of work.

Thanks!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That part is for passenger car. Don't think it would be the same for el comino. If you could find a parts car to cut the panel out of it would make the job much easier. Jmo.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As promised, here are pics of the rust damage. I probably should have taken a couple of pics from inside the bed, but this gives an idea.
WiderView.jpeg RearFloorCloseUp.jpeg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That part is for passenger car. Don't think it would be the same for el comino. If you could find a parts car to cut the panel out of it would make the job much easier. Jmo.
It's been hard to find to find usable donor car for floor parts.
It's almost like rust has an agreement it will attack common places on these vehicles. :bang

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
It looks like rust from a body water leak. Make sure you seal up the body seams when you get to that point. Water test the body with a friend and a hose before you put in the interior trim to find body and glass leaks and fix them before they do any damage.
I am willing to bet the full sedan under seat panel was trimmed off to create your floor. It would have to mate to the normal floor used and to the unique El Camino cargo floor and back panel. Take a look at the rear edge where it mates to the back panel and see if it looks simply trimmed with any weld flanges being on the back panel. It looks that way in the picture.
Let's see if anyone else chimes in, but I would purchase the full panel and trim off the back to make your's. Seems like a waste of metal, but as you point out it would be cheaper and finding a used like new panel is tough.
I was always an El Camino guy and while we had ones from the 70's, the 59 was always my favorite.

Welding-floor-pan-assembly.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rear floor pan in the El Camino is the same as every 59 car, wagon, 2 door, 4 door. It just continues out under the bed, creating the "smuggler's box" (which was there in the Chevelle El Caminos too). I might have a pic if I can find it.

Maybe someone who has a pic of the back seat area of a 59 car would post it for comparison, I have no pics of the rear footwell area.

EDIT- pics below. Mine needed the footwells only, which are in the cab, due to a leaky back window. I have other pics if you need anything on the bed area.

Don

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
5960FPURS.jpg

411737541.jpg

411737540.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh, and don't forget your rear window drains, you'll need them and those for the front windshield. Usually them rotting off meant instead of draining down the inside panel, the water drained into the rear footwell area.

Don

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Nice pictures Don. That clears that up!
Is that well below the cargo floor a wet area? How does water drain from the bed?
On the rear window drains does it have some kind of gutter with hoses?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The well is supposed to be dry, mine looked very dry when I lifted the bed.

The 59 cars and El Caminos had gutters with drains, front windshield and rear. Its under the stainless around the glass. There is a hose that connects to the drain and runs down to drain outside the inner fender wells. You can see the drain here- its the rectangular rubber thing (there is a round one there in the pic, you can get the rectangular head). Leaves, dirt, etc. plugged this up, instant rust.
411737595.jpg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice pictures Don. That clears that up!
Is that well below the cargo floor a wet area? How does water drain from the bed?
On the rear window drains does it have some kind of gutter with hoses?
You took the typing right out of my fingers :winner

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rear floor pan in the El Camino is the same as every 59 car, wagon, 2 door, 4 door. It just continues out under the bed, creating the "smuggler's box" (which was there in the Chevelle El Caminos too). I might have a pic if I can find it.

Maybe someone who has a pic of the back seat area of a 59 car would post it for comparison, I have no pics of the rear footwell area.

EDIT- pics below. Mine needed the footwells only, which are in the cab, due to a leaky back window. I have other pics if you need anything on the bed area.

Don
Thanks for the info Don!

I was sure the piece was going to work, but quick sanity check is cheaper than returning parts.

I'll definitely be replacing the drains from the windows, all mine are old, broken, and dry rotted.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1960 also has the drains on the front windsheild but discontinued them on the backglass, at least that is how my 60 Ventura is. Don't know what the theory was there...:dunno

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking at all the later than 59's with rust from a leaky back window, that "bad idea" of these drains may not have been so bad afterall. Lots of bad floors, trunks, and back window areas, even in dry southern cars.

Don

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Several companies supply all that you should need. I replaced the toe board complete floor pan and the rear under seat pans Hubbard ,Motor City High Performance just to name two.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Looking at all the later than 59's with rust from a leaky back window, that "bad idea" of these drains may not have been so bad afterall. Lots of bad floors, trunks, and back window areas, even in dry southern cars.

Don
Don
You have a point. With that lower rabbit allowing water to pool under the molding it is not good for sealing durability and reliability. With the water sitting there the smallest hole will drain the whole pool and in standing water rust forms.
On late model cars the lower rabbit is eliminated and water flows directly into the trunk gutter or into the cowl. Philosophically you can just try and seal everything up and hope for the best or try and manage the water flow. Managing water flow is the more reliable approach.
The use of the drains though is trouble also for the reasons you gave. My Avalanche is full of drains to manage water in and around the bed. It is built like an El Camino. Just like your 59 though, I have to regularly clean out the leaves and debris from the drains so they don't back up.
Ask anyone with a late model Corvette about water backups. They use a rubber drain system to manage water off the windshield and the drains easily clog and allow the cowl area to backup and flood. The wiper motor turns into a submarine and you get "ghost wipes" and dead wiper motors.
Bottom line: like everything else in life, there is no perfect solution to anything. Every choice has benefits and drawbacks. If there was a perfect solution, nobody would consider anything else and there would be no choice.

Last edited: