Is this a starter issue or wiring issue?

All,

Having an issue with what I believe is either the starter or starter wiring. The car cranks up and occasionally hear a banging sound as if someone is literally trying to start the car while its already running.

I got under the hood to see if I can get a better grasp of what's going on, and found something very odd - with car off, as soon as I jiggle the positive battery cable even the slightest, the engine tries to crank as if someone is actually sitting inside turning the key.

Kept attempting to crank until finally I had to unhook battery.

The fact that it does this simply by jiggling/moving the cable, does this indicate that it may be a simple wiring issue down at the starter..ie terminals need tightened/adjusted/Terminals touching?

Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
All,

Having an issue with what I believe is either the starter or starter wiring. The car cranks up and occasionally hear a banging sound as if someone is literally trying to start the car while its already running.

I got under the hood to see if I can get a better grasp of what's going on, and found something very odd - with car off, as soon as I jiggle the positive battery cable even the slightest, the engine tries to crank as if someone is actually sitting inside turning the key.

Kept attempting to crank until finally I had to unhook battery.

The fact that it does this simply by jiggling/moving the cable, does this indicate that it may be a simple wiring issue down at the starter..ie terminals need tightened/adjusted/Terminals touching?

Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input.
Is this the stock style starter? It sounds like an issue with the starter solenoid. You can take apart the stock style solenoid and take a look.

Fathead, yes, it is stock... pretty sure it is the factory starter.

Good news to report - it turns out it was simply the loose wiring going to the solenoid. I believe the cable wire was touching the S as Russ said... Tightened everything up - problem solved.

It was a terrible sound, which had me thinking I had a major problem on my hands, so I was extremely happy when I first discovered the loose connections.

Thank you for the input, gents!