it runs

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some of you may have read another post where I explained that I had found a real survivor....656 truck engine purchased new in 1970. It's a long story but the engine has only between 200 and 300 original miles on it. It was kept in heated storage & turned over on a regular basis. I brought it home, put a mixture of some 10/30 oil & Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders & let it soak for 2 weeks... changed the intake because I didn't have a decent old 4 barrel to put on it. Made block off plates for the front & rear carbs....... I have the kit from Vintage speed to make the tri power work properly but it's all still in the box. Poured some GM EOS on the cam & put some in the crankcase, some oil on the rockers....... pre lubed it using an old distributer with the cam gear ground off & an electric drill........ hooked it to a rad & put on everything else needed...... Put in the new MSD..... used a marine gas hose & pumped gas through the fuel pump into the carb with the ball & it started within 3 turns.........Runs great.. warmed up we have 22 lbs oil pressure at an idle & 40 lbs at about 1500 RPM.... Ran it several times this week....... no leaks anywhere........ gave it a compression test cold tonight........ #3 is 130 lbs., the rest are between 137 & 142......

I'm a very happy 409'er......... all we need is a mild cam, new lifters, springs & roller rockers and we're set !!!

Now I just have to get the '38 Chevy ready for it.......

I'll try and attach a picture.......... oh well I can't run a computer ??

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Congratulations!

Nothing could be finer than to hear a 409er in the morning!

Congrats on your find, and your good luck to have an engine in operable condition. Wish I could find a complete engine (that I can afford!) that fired right up :).

Good luck with future modifications, hope you have a winner!

Best,
TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One thing I would recommend would be to replace the valve springs when you install the new cam.

I bet you will find that some of them are weak from sitting all those years.
Better to do it now then later,,dq