I've Just Bot 409 #3... In California-Driving East...

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Long story short... I bot this from Chuck in Simi Valley... He owned it 30 years, he was 2nd owner. I'm driving it to Phoenix and Tuscon, buying a 1991 Ford F700, loading up the 409 BelAir, and heading East..

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow im glad I don't live in CA, $3.89 a gallon for regular! Regular gas in MO is $2.39 a gallon right now, but looks like you got a nice rust free car from CA. Thats one bad thing about MO the cars here are rust buckets. I guess its a trade off, I think I would rather have the rust free cars. Im lucky my 62 SS is from CA and it is unbelievably rust free, owned it since 1988.

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Gas is as low as 3.15 at Arco, cash only. It varys considerably! I'm transporting 409 on a 1991 Ford F700 I'm buying in Tuscon later today... Keep watching... And check my videos on ytube CORVAIRWILD

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I love when you're driving east on 10 close to the az border, gas price drops almost a dollar when you cross into Az but you'll see the same gas tank truck dropping off at both the calif and Az stations.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is Chuck from Simi someone from this site?

I found this car on carsonline and it was only listed for 24.5K, so I made an offer on it and Chuck and I couldn't come too a deal.

So I posted it in our for sale section and I told Chuck for his information that I posted it on 348-409.

Chuck then joined our group and re-posted the belair and corvairwild showed interest after buying his 63 and now is the proud owner of both 409 cars.

@CORVAIRWILD you posted what you paid for the 63 what did you pay for Chucks 62?

Happy Motoring :drinking

Ted

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
The day started out ok, I made it up the 9 mile climb to Chriaco Summit, temp at 220+, and volt gauge a little below 12volts... Hmmm... I had aired up the tires-the RR was at 16-I didn't see a nail or screw... 20 miles after the encounter with the nice Four Cylinder Fourever Forda Club.. I felt a vibration in the steering, and a few seconds later BOOM!
Luckily I was more or less by myself, I HATE tailgaters! And they're EVERYWHERE!!!
I had to saw at the wheel to keep 'er shiny side up. I was in the passing lane, just about to overtake a tractor trailer,,65mph. There was a somewhat steep ditch to my left, but I was able to get over to the Rt shoulder and pull way past the paved shoulder.
Hagerty figured out where I was, the flatbed arrived within the hour and took me to a tire shop back near where I had started out about 4 hours earlier.
They had Khuomo tires in the size I needed, -235-75R15 in back and 215-70R15 in front. But the fun was just beginning...
The mechanic removed the lf wheel in the yard, and it required a mallet to pop it off the rotor hub. When he went the re-install it, the lug nuts wouldn't take any torque! Turns out the lugs were metric! Only the lf had these metric lugs. Long story short, none of the FLAPs had any 7/16x20 shoulder-washer lugs.
I happen to have dozens of them I bot at a local dollar store-a card of 4@$1.
So I ordered some for $4 each! But they're 3,000 miles away.

So plan is, I'll run over to the shop tmrw AM. I'll also change the oil for Valvoline 20w50 hi zinc and a good quality Mobil 1 filter. The 409 has a cheap Fram now.
IMG-20190815-WA0051.jpegIMG-20190815-WA0069.jpegIMG-20190815-WA0073.jpegIMG-20190815-WA0099.jpegIMG-20190815-WA0117.jpegIMG-20190815-WA0123.jpegIMG-20190815-WA0125.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20190815-WA0046.jpeg
    IMG-20190815-WA0046.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
When I bought my 1962 Chevy in Nebraska, the speedometer wasn't working, and at that time, my GPS didn't have a speed readout on it. I just kept going along with traffic as best as I could. When I crossed over the line into Ohio, I was in the right hand lane, chugging along, when a Ohio Highway Patrol vehicle pulled up behind me. He followed me for about 40 miles, and then dropped off. About 5 miles down the road, another did the same thing, and followed me for a distance. This happened just about all the way across Ohio. At one point, I finally pulled over, and so did the trooper. He came up to the car, and I asked him what was I doing that everyone was following me. He told me that the speed limit was 65, and that I was going between 45 and 50, and they didn't want anyone to run into me. I explained that the speedometer was broken, and he understood. If someone had told me that sooner, I would have gone faster. I thought that Ohio would never end, until I got to PA. PA seems to be the longest boring drive that I have ever done. The engine in the Chevy was tired, and it seemed like it was screaming just doing 50. I don't know what the gears are in the differential, but I intend to change them out to a 3:08 this winter. It will be slower off the line, but it should be a lot less revs at 65. I think that this car was designed like a taxi that never left the city.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I bought my 1962 Chevy in Nebraska, the speedometer wasn't working, and at that time, my GPS didn't have a speed readout on it. I just kept going along with traffic as best as I could. When I crossed over the line into Ohio, I was in the right hand lane, chugging along, when a Ohio Highway Patrol vehicle pulled up behind me. He followed me for about 40 miles, and then dropped off. About 5 miles down the road, another did the same thing, and followed me for a distance. This happened just about all the way across Ohio. At one point, I finally pulled over, and so did the trooper. He came up to the car, and I asked him what was I doing that everyone was following me. He told me that the speed limit was 65, and that I was going between 45 and 50, and they didn't want anyone to run into me. I explained that the speedometer was broken, and he understood. If someone had told me that sooner, I would have gone faster. I thought that Ohio would never end, until I got to PA. PA seems to be the longest boring drive that I have ever done. The engine in the Chevy was tired, and it seemed like it was screaming just doing 50. I don't know what the gears are in the differential, but I intend to change them out to a 3:08 this winter. It will be slower off the line, but it should be a lot less revs at 65. I think that this car was designed like a taxi that never left the city.
Didn't taxis have 4.11 gears?