Jack Gibbs - 409 Performance

Wilson1

Well Known Member
I have been out of touch for the last 7 months. My wife was diagnosed with ALS and passed in Dec. Getting my head back together and wanting to finally put a 409/348 of some type into my 1960 Impala.

I have almost come to the conclusion that it would be better to just purchase a complete motor from a good builder, with parts that are known to be good, than try to piece something together from parts I hunt down. Not to mention, it would be quicker and probably less expensive in the long run. Can anyone give me feed back on Mr. Gibbs. Seems like he knows whats up with these motors from looking at his web site.

If he isn't the guy, then who is?

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You know now that I am thinking about it. Ten years of very little mileage, just to cruise nights and sitting long winters maybe its time for new valve springs, roller lifters and rockers ?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,it would depend upon how much spring pressure and lift your springs are subjected to.Maybe Jack included the spring pressures on your build sheet.Most street cams[rollers] will run 400-450 lbs open,maybe 200-225 on the seat,which is ok for a street profile with around .575 lift.There are tools made that will allow you to check the spring pressure while they're on the engine.As long as you haven't lost more than about 15 percent from use over time,you should be ok.While you have the rocker arms off,check for any roughness in the roller tip area,as well as the trunion area.You should also check for cracks. I have a set of roller rockers that are still gong fine after a quarter century of use.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have beat on it once or twice a year but never really abused it. Yes I am pretty sure all the specs are on my build sheets. Im more concerned about the roller lifters losing an axle or something bad like that. My buddy had a roller axle break and turned a strong motor to junk. I dont roll the motor over or start it over the winter months at all. And the past 2 years I have only had the car out a few times. I probably should have been loosening the rockers every winter.