Jeep woes...

bobs409

Administrator
Tried searching google but not really finding much, answers are all over the place. So for fun, I'll ask here.

Twice now, I took the Jeep out and get to the same place (maybe about the 3 mile mark) and it feels like it's running out of gas, starts slowing down like it's running out. Putting the pedal down gets it going again and it does this a few times until it clears up. First time I pulled over and it stayed running at idle. This time I tried leaving off the gas with clutch in to see if it was going to stall and again it didn't. Within a minute or less, it goes away for the rest of the trip. Can't think if what happens around the 3 mile mark? :D If it was a carb, I'd say choke but this... I'm guessing it's fuel related but who knows with all the crap on it!

This is an 87 Jeep YJ with 4 cylinder / TBI.

bobs409

Administrator
Is that something that can be so intermittent like that? Runs fine before and after, it's just for that 1 minute or less it acts up.

I hate newer vehicles! :cuss

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You need a scan tool that will work with a jeep in order to monitor this sensors operation.It sounds like that senser is telling the computer that the engine is warmed up when it isn't.If you don't have said tool,get one.They aren't hard to use and YOU AIN'T GONNA LEARN ANY YOUNGER!:poke

bobs409

Administrator
You need a scan tool that will work with a jeep in order to monitor this sensors operation.It sounds like that senser is telling the computer that the engine is warmed up when it isn't.If you don't have said tool,get one.They aren't hard to use and YOU AIN'T GONNA LEARN ANY YOUNGER!:poke

This is probably needs that first generation scanner. ?? Don't even know where to plug it in. :D

bobs409

Administrator

A quick search tells me I don't have to worry about buying a scanner anyway. Supposedly this uses something called the renix tbi system? Can't even use the check engine light method from what I read.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think my old Brainmaster scan tool is too old but my OTC 4000 may have the correct cartridge for 87. I'll try and remember to check tonight. Mike and I are overdue for a trip to see you Bob. If you're not in a big hurry, we might try and get down after the holidays? Maybe?:D

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The problem there is it shouldn't clear up. A dirty filter will just get worse and worse especially with a load on the engine. I did replace the fuel pump a few winters back. (oh the fun that was in 20 degree weather)

filters and pumps can be intermittent, especially at first onset of problem.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What Mike said about the fuel pump I had a 98 Pontiac that was having similar issues that were intermittent and I eventually pinned it down to the fuel pump was only putting out 1/2 the fuel pressure it was supposed to be. This was also on a pump that was replaced a few years prior.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
From the symptoms, an egr valve opening too much, or an o2 sensor failing come to mind. If your egr valve is vacuum controlled, you can unplug the hose from the egr valve and plug it, then go for your drive and see if the symptom is gone. If it is, you most likely have a broken spring in the egr valve. Replace it with the correct valve, not a one size fits all. If the o2 sensor is failing, you would have to backprobe the sense wire for the pcm with a dvom and monitor the voltage. .02 volt is lean .99 volt rich. This may help you diagnose what is happening. O2 sensors can fail, and either lean out, or richen your fuel delivery to the motor. Oxygen sensors for that year vehicle should be pretty cheap. Most likely a one wire. Little known fact.....oxygen sensors are wear items and should be changed at 75,000 miles or so.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well Bob, SOL on the scan tool. No AMC cartridge. I remember now that there was little or no test equipment available when my wife had an Eagle SX4 ,when we first started dating, had an issue with idle control solenoid. I ended up disconnecting a few this gas and put an older carbon on it to get it to run half decent. Traded the in a few years after we got married but I kinda wish we had it back now. It was a neat little pos of a car.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Years ago I had a chevelle did the same thing. Changed the fuel pump and fuel filter no fix even followed all the fuel lines too see if there was a crack or bad hose.

Didn't find anything, I was ready to drive it in a ditch and leave it, I said was the heck am I missing it's like vapor locking.

The last time it did it, I crawled under it again and there was a 1.5-2" rubber hose from the gas tank to the steel fuel line, it was weathered and would suck air and then close up and run fine.

I know this is your jeep, but I bet your 409 car has that same little hose:-(

bobs409

Administrator
Well that egr valve is $60 bucks! Can I just ditch it? We don't do smog checks here and I want to do my part for global warming anyway...

bobs409

Administrator
I want to disconnect all this crap! :D If it wasn't so difficult and expensive, this would have a small block Chevy V8 by now. :tongue