Jerky

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks good. I am going to have to try and make some thicker than I normally do. The last batch I over cooked a little ( sorry to the person that received some, he knows who he is ) I marinate mine for 24hrs, then use a dehydrator. Never used an oven however originally I was told to. I have my own recipe I modified from one I found on the internet years ago.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looks good, Dave.
I, like Jeff, have my own homemade marinade recipe. The meat (usually antelope) is in the marinade for 24 hours, then put in a dehydrator until done. I have to keep checking, some pieces get done sooner than others. I have had this dehydrator for nearly 20 years. It is an Excaliber with 9 trays.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine is also the Excalibur Ron, and it is probably about 12 years or so old. 16 x 16 with 5 trays. At about 3/16 to 1/4 inch, I can do about 4lbs or so depending on how thick the meat is cut. Seems like I can never get a consistent cut from any butcher. I mainly use top round ( London Broil ) I have thought about buying a larger one, however I don't think I really need it. I have wanted to try some other meats, and recipes, however I like mine a lot and so does most people. My recipe is a peppered style. What flavors so to speak are you guys using?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The current Excalibers have the motor, fan, controls in the rear. Mine are on the right side, older model.
Here are the ingredients I use.
Lowrys
garlic powder
black pepper
onion powder
liquid smoke
Worcestershire sauce
soy sauce
water
Smart Ass Hot Sauce

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My fan is in the back like you said. I am going to need some more info on that recipe. I will PM you. However here is mine.

4lbs Top Round 3/16 to 1/4 center cuts then I cut them to size.
5 tps of Franks Red Hot Sauce ( NOT the Buffalo wing sauce, the original )
1 tps of Dry Zesty Italian salad dressing
1 1/3 tps Garlic Powder
1 1/3 tps Fresh ground black pepper
1 cup Worcestershier Sauce
1 cup Soy Sauce
1 tps Onion powder
2 pinches of salt
1 tps of Coarse Black pepper.

After marinating it and placing it on the racks I take and sprinkle additional Coarse Black pepper on the pieces before I put them in the dehydrator.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I threw my meat in the freezer for a couple hours to firm it up. Then I used an electronic knife to slice to thickness.

I like the recipe but it is a little salty. That's one nice thing about you guy's receipees, you can control that.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I never really gave a meat slicer any thought until you mentioned it Ron. Since your post I have been reading all about them. Thinking of why I never thought about it, and why I don't have one. So here it is a few hours later and I am wondering how much I will actually use it and for what all, ( not just jerky ) space for it, and if I get one, what brand, and how much do I want to spend. I see the cheap ones are everywhere starting at about 100 dollars. Things seem ??? to get interesting at 400. I am not going to go to say 1000, that is if I do, to one of the seriously professional ones, although I have looked at some used ones for 500 to 1800. Your fault Ron, your fault. Probably would stay at 400 or less. What brand do you have.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't have one Dave. The butcher always slices my stuff. However I get inconsistent slices almost always, and that is with any butcher I use, so I am just thinking about it.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Ive been merinading the meat after slicing it up for 24 hours in Pepsi or Dr Pepper. Suprisingly that adds extra really good suble after taste, even with jalepeno or bbq.

Last edited: