Jerry Impala

Hi Everyone, I am in the process of building a 62 Bel Air Bubble top Clone. I have already 5 donor bubble top roofs. The one i am working on is a 4 door. Have plans to do a 2 door as well conversion. Seeking experience knowledge from those out there that have already done this type of work. I am having the work done , I myself do not have the skills to do. I know of Dennis Hill in the Carolina's has dose this type of work. I also believe a Brian Thompson here on this site as well has done some of this work. I live in Minnesota.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Jerry to the forum. This conversion has been done several times, Brian Thompson did a beautiful job on a bubbletop on a 62 Impala 2 door, if you search here on his screen name "Brian Thompson", you will find some pictures, but unfortunately, Brian passed away several years ago.

The Bel Air bubbletop and the 4 door have the same windshield, rockers, inner fenders, rear quarters including the wheel lips only, and trunk lid. Here's some pics of a 2 door Impala (they have a shorter windshield than the Bel Air) and a 4 door conversion. For what you are doing, you can cut the windshield posts on both cars in the same place. I'd say install the front doors first and align them with the door posts before welding the new roof and rear quarter in place.

20161018_165520.jpg
20161024_175142.jpg

heddrik

Well Known Member
Welcome Jerry, I will watch with great interest as you do this, I am wanting to do the same but finding a roof without breaking my bank is hard. Please post lots of pictures. These guys are knowledgeable and helpful, enjoy!

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will also be watching as i have been wanting to do this for some time, can't afford a real bubble top.

Dose anyone know when using a 2 door impala etc conversion with a bubbletop . will the new bubble top windows work in the same position has the hold coupe windows ? Thanks Jerry

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dose anyone know when using a 2 door impala etc conversion with a bubbletop . will the new bubble top windows work in the same position has the hold coupe windows ? Thanks Jerry
Pretty sure the windows in the impala are different than the BT and the vent window too, the impala has a shorter windshield so side glass should be shorter.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I have often thought of this, if I use a 4 door I will need the inner door steel from a 2 door Impala, or do I need a 61 Impala / 62 bubbletop to fit the rear side windows?????

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The rear quarter windows are specific to a bubbletop as well as the sheet metal along the belt line and between the trunk opening and the back window. The rest of the quarter panel is the same as a two door.

Thanks for the info Guys, So its not so simple just to have just the bubble top from the pillars up. I thought that might be the case. The roof tops i have, include the quarters panels. Wanted has much meat as possible just in case. I bought them from salvage yards. The cars where not salvageable. Most had the inner trim and glass. its my understand that it was also mentioned that the vent windows are different on the bubble top doors. So its better to have doors from a 61 bubble top car than a 62 normal car when doing a 62 Bel Air Bubble conversion.

heddrik

Well Known Member
The rear quarter windows are specific to a bubbletop as well as the sheet metal along the belt line and between the trunk opening and the back window. The rest of the quarter panel is the same as a two door.
Thank you Mr. Jim, I thot as much. Is the belt line the area just outside the rear window? So a 4 door swap would require the inner rear door assembly sheet metal I presume. Thank you.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The belt line, as I know it, is the edge where the roof meets the body. The entire curvature of the panel between the trunk and the back window is specific to the bubble top. The top of the quarter panel at the rear quarter window is longer than a regular two door due the thin pillar by the back window. I wish I could remember what pillars are what, "a", "b", "c"...or whatever.:doh:dunno. To convert a four door you would need a two door quarter panel or at least the front of a two door quarter panel to extend it to the proper location of the door jamb and the proper inner sheet metal from the door jamb to the rear seat back/ inner wheel well.

Last edited: