Jerry's 62 Impala build

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Made some progress today. Tore off the front clip and getting ready to pull the engine tonight.

My 62 tucked away in the neighbors garage and the 61 in her driveway.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
why did you decide to remove the entire front clip Brian? That car is so nice I would be affraid I would wreck something. Wouldn't it have been easier to just pull the motor with the clip on the car? :?

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Would you be ever so grateful and donate me that nice little fan blade that you're removing from the 283? :pray I need one for Old Gold. :pray

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
why did you decide to remove the entire front clip Brian? That car is so nice I would be affraid I would wreck something. Wouldn't it have been easier to just pull the motor with the clip on the car? :?

I removed the whole clip because I am going to re paint the radiator support and am changing out the chrome inner fender wells with black one's. It also has a full chrome front suspension on it that I will be replacing as well. just makes it easier to all of this to just blow the whole front apart.

Would you be ever so grateful and donate me that nice little fan blade that you're removing from the 283? :pray I need one for Old Gold. :pray

Complete engine assemblly is already sold. Sorry Seth. You may want to hit up Ricky (Garageartguy on LIL) and ask him if he will need it.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I removed the whole clip because I am going to re paint the radiator support and am changing out the chrome inner fender wells with black one's. It also has a full chrome front suspension on it that I will be replacing as well. just makes it easier to all of this to just blow the whole front apart.

Complete engine assemblly is already sold. Sorry Seth. You may want to hit up Ricky (Garageartguy on LIL) and ask him if he will need it.

You tell Ricky that the deal didn't include that fan blade. :roll

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
DSC_0128.jpg

:cuss Send it to me already, I'll take good care of her. :deal

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That fan blade appears to be a 6 blade flex fan available at any parts store !!!!

Bill

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Brian you got the 62 lookin' real good- it will look a lot better when you get the 409 in it!!!!! Knowing you I say it will be A-1 hear in a month or two. Also if you run out of work and feel the need of another father image in your life, please let me know. My 58 needs some work done on it! After you finish you can call me dad, pop, old man, whatever you want to. See yea in June---SON:roll:roll

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian you got the 62 lookin' real good- it will look a lot better when you get the 409 in it!!!!! Knowing you I say it will be A-1 hear in a month or two. Also if you run out of work and feel the need of another father image in your life, please let me know. My 58 needs some work done on it! After you finish you can call me dad, pop, old man, whatever you want to. See yea in June---SON:roll:roll

Thanks Old Fart :roll:roll I hope to have it done by the end of April. Send the 58 down here after that. I've always wanted to work on one.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Engine and suspension are out now. Barry Taylor came over today and helped me pull everything. Thanks Barry!!! :bow:cheers
New owner picking everything up on Sunday.

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

Going out to Ronnie's tomorrow to pick up the 409 and will pick up the 700r4 on Monday. Hope to have the engine and tranny in by Tuesday night.

Received some packages from Phil Reed today and more stuff coming in from all over for the next week or so.

DSC_0151.jpg

The one on the right is freshly bead blasted. The one on the left has Calyx Manifold Dressing on it.

DSC_0146.jpg

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Seth. It is turning in to a bit more than I thought. Since I already had it this far apart, I decided to go ahead and pull the rearend so I can remove the frame and have it powder coated... Frame is coming out Monday.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Brian it's pretty cool that you got the garage across the lane.......... your shop looks a lot better with only one car in there........ :cheers:cheers

Dave

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How'd I not keep up on this thread?
1'st I like those old style american wheel types.
2'nd Must be nice to be young
3'rd Gotta post pics of how you get the frame out from under there
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST! I asked first Mr. Bell:evil:takethat

:crazy

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Thanks Seth. It is turning in to a bit more than I thought. Since I already had it this far apart, I decided to go ahead and pull the rearend so I can remove the frame and have it powder coated... Frame is coming out Monday.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

Helll yeah brother. Perfect time to mask off the body and lay down some fresh glossy white paint on that firewall. :coffee:;)

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian are those original manifolds from Phil or the repop ones? The manifold dressing looks great :clap

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How'd I not keep up on this thread?
1'st I like those old style american wheel types.
2'nd Must be nice to be young
3'rd Gotta post pics of how you get the frame out from under there
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST! I asked first Mr. Bell:evil:takethat

:crazy

Ray-

I support the body at the front door hinges and just to the outside of the frame at the very rear of the body. One jack under the front crossmember and one under the rear axle hoops with a 4x4. Undo the body mounts, lower each jack and roll the frame forward.

Helll yeah brother. Perfect time to mask off the body and lay down some fresh glossy white paint on that firewall. :coffee:;)

My thouhts exactly Seth!

Hey Brian it's pretty cool that you got the garage across the lane.......... your shop looks a lot better with only one car in there........ :cheers:cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. It is nice to have room to walk in it again.

Brian are those original manifolds from Phil or the repop ones? The manifold dressing looks great :clap

The manifolds are original.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian,

Wow, that is really turning into a big project !!!! :eek::beerbang Really looking good though. Imagine what you might have had, if you didn't start with a pretty solid car !!!! Interesting to me how the front suspension came apart, with the air ride ?

Are you planning to have this car at Thompson ?

Bill