Jerry's 62 Impala build

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I just received the 62 Impala my father-in-law Jerry bought.
I will use this thread to document the build as we make changes.
We are going to make this as old school as possible, but with some updated flair. It will not look like this when we are done, which is why I want to keep everything in one place during the transformation.

Under the hood, everything will be as stock looking as possible. Rims will be changed to Torq-Thrusts and the center console removed. All chromed parts will be replaced with correct coloring. Air Ride system will be retained, but I am going to change out the 1/2" lines with 1/4" lines and put in an Airpod with digital controller. Doing this will let Jerry get a more "dialed-in" ride height. Still undecided on the interior, but may have something custom done, but with original fabrics.

To be done:
Stock stroke 409 with dual quad Offy intake, Edelbrock 500's, hi-po manifolds, 62 Air Cleaner and factory valve covers.
Griffin "knock-out" Radiator with 409 fan shroud
700R4 trans mildly built for the street with an 1800 stall convertor.
CPP 500 Power Steering box
Front Disc Brakes
62 409 tach
Interior ????
Air Ride Technologies AirPod w/E3 Controller and LevelPro kit

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

ic920w.jpg

346rpki.jpg

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Getting rid of that center console will make a huge improvement.

Sorry but I disagree with this....... those cup holders are worth a lot if you're going to drive the car much.

Dave

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry but I disagree with this....... those cup holders are worth a lot if you're going to drive the car much.

Dave

I'll agree with you on this one Dave. When I wrecked my 62 I had a Dr.Pepper can between my legs. After the wreck it was wrapped around the steering wheel. At first I thought I wet myself!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
car looks great brian!! get creative with the cupholders. Maybe locate them to the glove box or I always thought way down low between the seat and the door panel could be a neat spot of a "hidden" cupholder.

Can't wait to see what you guys do with the car. You should have fun thats for sure! :cheers:clap

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
My EYES, my eyes, those wheels hurt my eyes!

I really do shudder every time I see a nice classic with oversize pimp-daddy wheels. :barf

Are the front wheel housings really chromed?
Looks like some one spent some buck$, but I like your plan a LOT better! :cheers

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Brian

Nice car! Look forward to the upcoming project pics.

The old torque-thrusts will look great. "Wheels and stance" tend to reflect the "attitude" for the car.

Check this out.. http://gassermadness.com/visitorscars/gavern/index.htm

All the best with the project. :deal

Just like your car..I'm sure you will do a great job on this one as well. :beerbang

Ron

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

The car is finally nestled in the garage.

Ordering parts next week and hopefully start the 409 transplant in the next few weeks.

DSC_0040_1.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
These are the wheels I think I am going to put on it... Not sure if I am going to go 15" or 17".

mVN3093.jpg

VINTAGE TTO GUN METAL W/ MACH. LIP
(Series VN309)
two piece aluminum painted

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Brian
Good choice on wheels, I'd stick with 15" ...and your garage is too clean BTW.

I have some 17" rollers on my 61 right now, and they are OK, but not quite right IMO.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
OK..

I vote 15 inch TH wheels.

BTW...that 1st picture of the garage open with the three classic beasties...is a keeper. Poster worthy.:deal

Ron

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Nice trio!

That night time picture of the three cars is pretty special. I'd frame it!

Good luck with the project, I hope it goes well :).

Cheers!
TomK