Jim K says hello from Phoenix

Jim K

Been watching this site for a while and figure its time to say hi and thanks for the help. Currently in the middle of rust repairs on a '60 Impala 2dr coupe, its a work in progress but the work is fun and the progress has been steady. Previously owned a '65 BelAir.

Thanks to Paul (pvs409) for helping me out with all the '60 parts needed for 4sp conversion.

IMG_0061s.jpg

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome to the site! You should plan a trip to Bowling Green June 14-16th got around 37 348/409s showing up to race in our own class from 8 second cars to street cars. You can see Rays blue 60 run and get your blood flowing. You'd have to talk to Gav about what to do to get him to let you drive itIMG_1360.JPG

Jim K

Maybe next year. I'm in the tail light deck/trunk floor rust repair & collect as many upgrade parts as possible phase.
After weighing my options for the non-OE worn out PG, I decided this Impala was really asking for a manual transmission. So thanks to Paul (pvs409), I grabbed all the '60 parts needed for conversion and thanks to new friend here in Phoenix I grabbed an almost new Richmond 5sp with .77 OD 5th gear.
I was planning to keep the non-OE 283 of unknown history until after restoration (really ... I was) but when a friend offered me an opportunity on this 383 Stroker, I could not pass it up. 383 was built in 1992 by a well respected So Cal machine shop as a spare backup engine to a matching spec engine installed in a street rod the family of a former SCCA race enthusiast still drives today. '71 010,020 nickel block, surfaced, bore honed, 4 bolt splayed main caps, • Ross pistons, Corillo rods, Crower crank, GM 2.02 heads, B&M Blower,
Engine was never installed or run so I'm looking at how best to refresh the engine before ever starting it.

So, with the assumption I'm going to end up in the 500-600hp range, I'll be looking at HD 2piece drive shaft, Ford 9" w. HD axles, and Disk Brakes down the road.

Attachments

• 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 21
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 21
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 21
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 22
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 22

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site! You should plan a trip to Bowling Green June 14-16th got around 37 348/409s showing up to race in our own class from 8 second cars to street cars. You can see Rays blue 60 run and get your blood flowing. You'd have to talk to Gav about what to do to get him to let you drive itView attachment 61749
HA HA, only wish i was heading back there this year. A truly awesome event,

O and the seat is all MINE and Ray's if he behaves :teehee

Gav

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome to the site Jim- it was great helping with the 4 speed conversion parts.
Also thanks for Richmond 5 speed you found and shipped for me....
Paul