Johnson Rod Alignment method:

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Johnson Rod Alignment method:

Just in case anyone has this problem here is what the procedure is according to Chevrolet Service Bulletin No. 243-12.078.333:

The first thing you do is jack the vehicle up in the center on the rearend housing about 3 inches. Then you reset the Binotz fittings to 35 ft. lbs. with a medium-sized Flavitz bar (GM part #4Im3.F4brd). Be careful reading the dial, though, as some mechanics have accidentally stripped Binotz fittings through over-torquing them. That should realign your Johnson Rods very nicely and to factory specifications. Check for later Service Bulletins, though, as there might have been a slight change to this procedure in the mid '50-'60's.

While you're at it, this would be a good time to check the grease level in the Fallicalator tube also. It really is a pain to be stuck on the side of the road with a seized Fallicalator (not to mention, misaligned Johnson Rods).

Note**

That's a very secretive operation but, IF you go to your local library and proceed to the card catalog section and look it up in the Dewey Decimal System the number is 45.87024. Then go to that section and look for the Orange & Black book cover. On page 1276 you will find the answer.. I just don't like the referral in that operation to "High atmosphere Nitrogen ice forming droplets on heavy-duty muffler bearings" as opposed to the green frog excretions of the lilly livered red southern warbler's nesting procedures" and using the Kaneutin' valve as a location reference.. Couldn't you pick something easier to mess around with at this time of year like say the Rocket tubes on the oil distributor pump timing or the Harmonic balanced front flywheel injector slides, Or the orientation of the '56 Buick PNDLR shifting quadrant mounting torque adjustments?? THAT could have saved ya a trip to the Library anyway...:D

Attachments

• confused2.gif
    confused2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 84

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ya know, I have suspected my car of haveing this problem for a long time. Just never knew how to do the adjustments. You can be assured I will be out in the garage tonight trying to get all this adjusted.

Thanks so much.

Fred:cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
SAY WHAT??????

Be careful Fred...you're starting to fall into his trap!! Jims409 CONVENIENTLY forgets to mention the Angliacrangulator and Finigan pins that are required to do this adjustment. When you get your car all torn apart and call him for further instructions......he just happens to have THE ONLY SUPPLY LEFT IN THIS WORLD.......and the price.....well let me put it this way, it would be cheaper to buy two acres.....of Downtown Dallas!!!!!!:p :p :p :p

Check for a PM a little later!!

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Fred, Don't let Phil have you think that it's that tough to get those Angliacrangulator and Finigan Pins.

I'll ship them free with every 4-sets of Heavy-Duty Muffler Bearings AND if you buy now, we'll include a coupon for a free five gallon can of Sakrete Lawn & Shrub Sealer!

Such a deal I have for you!!! :deal