"Joint Venture" Disc brake problem

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey guys , I took the old girl out the other day and have discovered a problem with the front disc brakes pulling very hard to the right when applying the brakes . I am now discovering things I have to take care of soon . I knew I would have to do these things as I put more miles on the car. I am using caliper mounting brackets and power brake dual master with proportioning valve. It was sold as an install kit by MASTER POWER BRAKES in North Carolina. I am using '68 to '72 Chevelle ( GM A body ) Calipers , rotors , lines etc. I think the R F caliper is sticking . Any ideas on what to look for ?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
If you suspect the caliper sticking a short drive will confirm with rotor/caliper radiant heat,they'll be warmer than the opposite side,use the back of your hand as your gauge.if that is the case sometimes a rap with a hammer to relieve the calipers pressure can rid you of the bind,but usually you'll have to remove the caliper, press the piston back into it's bore,then inspect the sliding portion of the caliper,bolts Orings or rubbers.if the caliper slide bolts are rusty,clean them with a wire wheel,wipe'm clean and apply a little bearing grease to the slide and reinstall.once remounted you should physically check for a free sliding motion of the caliper.other issues could be the piston binding in its bore,brake pads frozen(not sliding)on the caliper or the flexible brake line collapsed not letting fluid flow back to master cylinder.corrosion is usually the culprit!.I hope I've helped.?after 're-reading your post sounds like a new brake kit install,if that's the case I've over simplified the issue,and sorry if I didn't help!

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
how dose the pedal feel? are you using rubber brake hoses? you may have a bad left side hose.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Does it pull to the right all the time? Or only when the brakes are applied? I have had a vehicle pull to the right, but it was the left caliper piston that was stuck, not moving the pads.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Ron , It steers like it's on a rail , straight and true. It pulls only when the brakes are applied.:rub

:crazy:dance:cheers

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I would check the left piston. It may be stuck. I have seen them stuck so hard, (rust and dirt) that I had to hook a porta power pump to the bleed screw port to push the piston out. You could take it out for a short run, brake, and feel the rotors to see the difference in temperature. If the left one is cold, it is not working.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If you have front disks and rear drums the rear requires a residual valve, if you have the lines back to front the front disks will drag and can pull one way or another, I had a Homer moment and did this when I re-plumbed my 38. :doh

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Guys !! :bowI will look into all your possible fixes as soon as I can and report back my findings. Reality has kicked in this weekend ( Yard work , shopping with the little woman:love , etc.. )
I really appreciate your input .

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I just assumed that. ( I know to ASSUME is to make an A$$ out of U and Me )
I will check as soon as possible.
Thanx for your input.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey,was there a solution.to this braking problem .....enquiring minds need to know?.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey,was there a solution.to this braking problem .....enquiring minds need to know?.

k9hotrodder409 ,are you ever going to tell us or are you too busy in the house :love ?????????????
We are ASSumeing you fixed it ????????????? :scratch:scratch

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
k9hotrodder409 ,are you ever going to tell us or are you too busy in the house :love ?????????????
We are ASSumeing you fixed it ????????????? :scratch:scratch

MY BAD GUYS , I haven't gone near the car for a while . Life's ugly head has been popping up for a while now. So much to do and so little time. I'm having a little trouble getting next to the wheels. I can get down but am having a little problem getting back up. Plus I can't seem to push on the brakes and see what the calipers are doing at the same time. Gotta get the little woman to stop for a while to help out.:pray

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I hear ya , down is easy , getting up a little harder . If only we were 20 again, we could pop in the back seat without opening the door's in no time!!!!!! Nowday's you have to think how you are going to do some thing's. :bang:bang

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Grub .... In my case , "Down is easy and getting up is much harder." Don't forget , after my Bladder Cancer Surgery everything works much better now !!!:bow