Jumped timing bent valves??

Moparboss

Well Known Member
What make is that electronic module? Haven’t seen magnets fall out like that.
Pertronix I have used them on a few applications with no issues. I called them this morning and I spoke with tech support. They haven’t seen this much either. Maybe a bad batch of glue or something. They are standing behind the product and sending me a new pick up ring. Very happy with their customer service!

Attachments

• 024A09E3-8940-4529-A6A0-5A024EAD0C72.jpeg
    024A09E3-8940-4529-A6A0-5A024EAD0C72.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 10

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just be sure to pay attention to their cautions about coils.I had one fail even though the coil I was using was not on their list as a problem.That unit lasted about 30 seconds,the engine quit as smoke came out of the cap.The new kit got routed thru my MSD-6al as I wasn't giving up my Jacobs Super coil and was still working when I sold it.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Just be sure to pay attention to their cautions about coils.I had one fail even though the coil I was using was not on their list as a problem.That unit lasted about 30 seconds,the engine quit as smoke came out of the cap.The new kit got routed thru my MSD-6al as I wasn't giving up my Jacobs Super coil and was still working when I sold it.
That was uncontainable Horsepower leaving as smoke

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Alright fellas, as it turned our many of you guys were correct. It was and is an ignition problem! When I slammed the hood the clear tape that held in the 8 little tiny magnets on my (Ignitor Solid State Ignition Part# 1181 GM--V8 Electronic Conversion Kit 1957-74) four of them fell out because the clear tape was old and brittle and the magnet glue was no longer holding. 4 of the magnets fell out!
What was your cat's suggestion!!!!!!

Moparboss

Well Known Member
Popped in the new igniter ring that goes under the rotor. Runs like a champ! Now I gotta figure out the high oil consumption on rebuilt motor with no smoke. However I did find a great thread here with that exact same condition. It also seems to end with a very conclusive fix. ;-)