Juno Beach D Day- at the Pub last night- bumped into a man who was there in 1944

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have a small craft brew pub where there are 2 long tables so when you go there you sit down next to just about anyone, last night I sat down next to a neighbour, Captain Raymond Creery, he retired in 1964 from the Navy. He was a navigator on a destroyer during D Day.

How many guys from D Day have you met in 2019 at the pub having a beer?

He has some good stories, he’s not much of a talker, you have to ask good questions to get him remembering.
  • He was in Scotland on his destroyer when the D Day orders arrived, I think about a month before, it was a package about 2 inches thick for the Captain’s eyes only, he shared it with Ray and the officers. Each package was custom to each vessel, imagine the logistics of getting this done with a typewriter? Then a package delivered to each vessel?
  • According to google, there were 6939 vessels at D Day, 1213 naval combat, 4126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels. Ray said there were so many vessels, you could only see a small percentage at once.
  • Ray said all the small landing craft were up rivers in England, they clogged up the rivers. Being the slowest vessels, they set out first streaming out of the rivers.
  • Can you imagine how many bullets and shells were fired per second on both sides?
  • Ray said it was 3 days before they were sure D Day was a success.
  • They used dozers on the beaches to move aside damaged equipment.
You had to be there to “be there”.

Ray spent about 10 years building his own small sailing dinghy, he launched it last summer. A puff of wind came up and he swamped it. After getting on shore, he couldn’t stop laughing, he had about 50 people there watching the launch. He’s quite a man.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You are very fortunate to have talked with Ray. It's hard to imagine what that landing force looked like and the destruction of human lives that incurred. I saw old survivors on a TV show and thought, how many will not be there next year. I couldn't imagine what they went through....

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Father was there. He was 18 and he would be 94 right now if still alive. Ray has to be darn near 100
I’d say you are right, he was commissioned as a sub lieutenant in 1941, so you’d think he was born in 1921 or so. His father was in Hong Kong and signed the paperwork for Canada when the Japanese surrendered.

After the war, Ray served in naval aviation.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’d say you are right, he was commissioned as a sub lieutenant in 1941, so you’d think he was born in 1921 or so. His father was in Hong Kong and signed the paperwork for Canada when the Japanese surrendered.

After the war, Ray served in naval aviation.

20 years old and a Lt, I think maybe older then that