Just making a little conversation

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Not sure I ever mentioned this, but it was either the late 80's-very early 90's, I bought a '61 Impala convertible with a 283 PG. Purchased from a guy in Saratoga Springs, NY, for $1500.00. It was in bad shape and needed total restoration. Trunk, floor pans, rockers, all shot. Needed quarters. Maybe fenders. I usually do my home work before buying anything, but this time I didn't and wished I did. I learned that the dies to stamp out the parts I needed were consumed in a Chicago fire. I didn't have the internet access back then and found it difficult to acquire parts. I kind of gave up on it and the cats made it a home. The strong urine odor was it for me. I tried to sell it locally, sell being the operative word, but some gave new meaning to the term "lowball". So, I got disgusted and donated it to the American Lung Association. The came to my house, picked it up, evicted the cats without due process and gave me a receipt for tax purposes. When some of the previous interested buyers found out, they didn't like it much. Said they would have given more. Then, they should have at that time. Too bad for them. Many things have changed in my life since then. I regret some, not holding onto it. Eventually, I could have handled the restoration. I would have had the resources I needed. Pretty color also. Honduras maroon with a white convertible top. So, that's my story on another rainy day in upstate NY, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah, back then I never dreamed the parts that would be available today! I even wrote to the LGC club back then and asked the head guy if he ever thought that 63 fenders and quarters would ever become available. His reply was that he really didn't think so because the price would be astronomical for the tooling! (his words)

So many cars were lost for so many reasons. Not having parts was only one.

MoboMac

Well Known Member
In the late 60's.....me and my high school buddies were into 567 Fords.....and found a 55 'vert...parked on the street with expired tabs......ran and drove......for $100 bucks.....

It was rusty....and being a Ford.....it smoked a bit...and leaked oil.........Top was shot.....and overall rough condition....

We drove it to one guys house...and proceeded to strip and trash it.......

It had decent re-upholstered front seat (black)....which ended up.....in my 56 sedan....

It was prolly the right thing to do ...at the time.... .:bonk

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like those 567 Fords. Great looking cars. Never owned one. My uncle had a '57 convertible. Sweet car.

I don't want to start another thread, but do want to comment on the colors that were available back in the 50's; perhaps into the 60's. What beautiful colors and combinations/tutones, by the big 3. I especially recall the GM and Ford colors that were offered. With so many great ones to choose from, how would you ever decide?? Today, what do you have? Black, silver, white with the occasional red or blue. Take a peek at the dealerships as you pass by. Recently, we bought a new vehicle and wanted a ruby wine color. Hundreds of cars on the lot, but not one the color we wanted. Most were the basic 3. They had to find one at another dealer. Something definitely got loss in transition Carmine.