Just Retired So I'm Finally Getting Back to Work on My 60 Nomad

60 Nomad

Well Known Member
I took this car apart sometime before 2005, so it's been apart for about 15 years. I have parts for it scattered about in 2 garages and a large shed. I was planning on putting it back together long ago when I knew where everything was and how it goes back on. It's been really tough but I'm making progress. Some of the work I did around 2005, new floor board, new tailgate skin, new rocker panels & dog legs etc. I just retired May 1, and started back on it. Never did any painting before, but I decided to try doing the firewall myself so I could put the motor and transmission in. That went well so I decided to paint the dash too. That went well also. So I hope to do as much of the painting such as door jams, interior trim, around the tailgate etc., but will probably leave the outside of the car to a pro, I'll decided that later. This car originally had a 348, then a 283 and now I'm working on getting it back to a 348 with a 700R4. I don't want it to be a show car, just a clean driver. The car came with PS, PB, Tinted Glass, Power Tailgate Window, Factory A/C. It had a padded dash when new, but back in the 80's when we pulled the car out of the woods the dash was cracked up so we stripped it off sanded it down and painted it. I got a long ways to go, but now that I'm retired hopefully I can get it done in a year or two.IMG_2304.JPGIMG_2525.JPGIMG_2514.JPGIMG_2531.JPGIMG_2556.JPG

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Bob has a point, but dang, that dash looks awesome! I just love those 159-60 dashes :).

Congrats on the retirement, have fun putting the zigsaw puzzle together! I found it useful to have another similar vehicle nearby to use as a reference manual. That and the Assembly Manual :).

Don is spot on about those "Honey Do's". That and it seems the body slows down a bit (or my eyes are getting bigger)...

Good luck!
TomK

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the color of the dash. Can you tell me what color it is?

John

60 Nomad

Well Known Member
Thanks for the replies. Sure that steering wheel is upside down? That was a lot of fun putting that back together, replaced the boot on the steering coupling, lower bearing and upper bearing. New turn signal switch, because it got broken somehow when I was taking it apart, that's not cheap either. Also broke the Neutral Safety/Backup light switch and had to replace that too. I have an Assembly Manual, however it doesn't cover everything, especially this being a wagon, but I do use it every day and have gotten better at finding what I'm looking for, the index in the book is really poor.
I read that the shinny dash could cause a problem before I painted it. It had a shinny dash before and was OK, of course it was a darker color, I might regret it, we will see, or maybe I won't be able to see LOL. The car has green tinted glass all the way around, that might help?
Honey Do List, yes she has one, however my wife is younger than I am she is still working, that helps. Also I think she would like to see the car get back together, it takes up a lot of room when spread out all over the place. Plus I have a 56 Chevy and a 46 Willy's Jeep, couple of motors and transmissions all taking up space, so if I get this back together there will be more room, that is until I pull apart one of my other projects.
The color of the dash is called White Gold, Paint Code is PWL. I used base coat clear coat. The steering wheel I used single stage for the white and base/clear for the gold. I don't have a setup for painting, never painted before either, did this outside in the driveway, got lucky with the bugs.
I have a lot of bumps in the road ahead I'm sure. Still have the drive shaft to shorten or buy, detent cable for the 700R4 to adjust, motor has not been test run yet, heater core & control valve to replace (seen the price for 59-61 Chevy Heater Core & Control Vv. $$$). And the list goes on. I'm happy with everything so far, I was going to paint it the original color, ermine white and black, but at the last minute I changed my mind and decide to make it White Gold and White with a few mods, but look mostly stock. I'll post some more pictures of my progress as the build continues.

60 Nomad

Well Known Member
Her is a couple of pictures when we pulled it out of the woods around 1980.
3.jpg23.jpg
Few Pictures after it was painted around time frame.
4.jpg6.jpg1982 14.jpg5.jpg
They are old pictures so not great pics.

Some pictures my 348 before and after.

DSC00148.JPGDSC01133.JPGDSC01273.JPGDSC02147.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I'll add some more pictures later.