K9hotrodder409 "W" project

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Gang, Jim Kwaitkowski had asked me to post some pics of my '57 project the other day. While going through my album pics of the '61 build for my son's site I found the documentation pics of my '57 build from day 1 back in 1994.
I decided that some of you might enjoy seeing how I went about the build doing it"OLD SKOOL " with what ever I had laying around my garage and feebaying a lot of STUFF to pay for whatever I didn't have .
There's a lot of photos so I am going to do this approx.10 pictures at a time in weekly installments. Hope you enjoy. I did all this except for machine work and with the help of my wife when she had time

AUGUST 1995 " THE BEGINNING "

The 1st 11 pics are explained as follows;
#1 This is my son in a contrast photo of my avatar 13 years later.
#2 This is the parts car that was needed for all the incidentals I threw away when I built the drag car.( Light= Fast )
#3 This is the drag engine that gave me the time of my life for all those years.1967 327 from a vette. The chain was to keep from ripping out the motor mounts.
#4The little woman stripping off the Joint Venture Decals to prep the fenders for sandblasting.
#5 All the bolt ons for the motor sandblasted,primed and painted while waiting for the long block to come home from the machinist.
#6 At last !! She's home all prettied up. This was a stock build with all new stock guts.
#7 333 heads came home also with a fresh triple angle valve job
#8 The '61 409 Winters aluminum intake also recieved the treatment
#9 Here she is starting to look like a "W"
#10 The '68 Camaro 12 bolt rear also got the treatment with a 5:57 to 3:73 gear swap. The gear set was from Speedway. The sale of the 5:57's paid for the 3:73s.

Now to see if the pictures will post. ENJOY !!!

Attachments

61belair348

Well Known Member
Ha! I have been trying to put the set you sent me into some semblance of order! Thanks. I can use these to make a parallel rebuild album.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
That rear end has been through the mill with 3 different sets of gears through the years 6:17 / 5:57 and now 3:73's. Never even cracked that housing.
Who da thunk a '68 Camaro 12 bolt would last that long. 41 years & counting.:dunno

:crazy:cheers

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some great photos! "JOINT VENTURE"..........great name and I've always wanted to name a Drag car that same exact name for obvious reasons I'm really don't think I need to get into right now! I can imagine that it's probably a great name while we're in our 20's but requires some tricky explanations when children grow up into their question-asking phase.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Mark, When I was drag racing back in the day I would sometimes come up against a 1968 Barracuda with a 383/tourquflite and the name on that car's fenders was "JOINT EFFORT " He had a cartoon character smoking a joint on his fender under the name. Back then us local drag racers didn't copyright car names. I don't remember anyone being offended by name similarities. My son understood the name as a bunch of friends building a race car. Hence "JOINT VENTURE " Obviously a lot later than my avatar picture.
:crazy:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
k9hotrodder "W" project

Hey guys, I can't wait till next friday !!! Here are 10 more pics of my build. Enjoy

#1 Race motor is finally removed to make room for the "W"
#2 Camaro rear with new 3:73 gears back under the car
#3 This was the trunk area in drag race trim Battery tray and 4 holley fuel pumpsThey gave me approx. 9 lbs on the pressure gauge throughout the race.
#4 This is the firewall that had to be redone. The rectangle hole in the center was for the vertex magneto I had on the old 427 engine I ran for 1 season. That motor got trashed chasing a Camaro.The hole on the left is for the stock heater box.The small hole is for the heater valve. Another lite=fast moment.
#5 This the firewall piece from the parts car to repair the firewall holes.
#6 Here is the piece installed. It was sandblasted,primed and painted.
#7 This is not going to my son's house in Florida:cry:pray so it needs a heater & defroster,also removed from the parts car.
#8 Also sandblasted,primed and painted.
#9 New firewall interior pad from "Danchuk"Couldn't believe how simple that install was.
#10 New steering column seal also from Danchuk

Attachments

61belair348

Well Known Member
I think it was that popular baby blue color/white combo from back in the day. I recall that I might have seen it on a door hinge or something...