Kohler motor

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Didn’t know exactly where to put this but figured here would be fine. I was mowing my yard last weekend and got half way through my back lot and the motor kinda did a hiccup and started to blow oil out of the dipstick or so I thought. I got off to check and found a hole in my block next to the dipstick but the motor was running fine. Took it to the garage and shut it off and inspected and could see the dipper is broken off the rod so I have to pull the motor. Got the motor out and removed the pan and found the bearings in the balance gears has went out and caused the gears to break. From what I understand this is a typical failure for the balance gears and some people prefer to remove them to avoid this problem and I had done that to a previous motor. I removed the head and pulled the piston and rod and the piston was kinda dinged up as well. I had a nice used rod and piston from another engine rebuild but had order rings for it. I did find the block pieces and job welded them back in. I haven’t ever had great luck with jb weld in the past but figured I would try it again. Finally got the rings on Friday and honed the bore and polished the crank and put it back together and she runs great! She used to smoke a little but didn’t seem to when I used it today to mow and the jb weld seems to be holding.4904EC09-D133-4F54-B347-CA705E453007.jpeg6D2668BE-8CA6-4B4F-8E8B-B9C7E821F8EB.jpeg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not really. I figured when the bearings went bad there would have been some warning or noise.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My John Deere mower has a Kohler command I believe 17 1/2 hp 15 yrs old hydraulic lifters sounds n runs good I have changed oil once a year since new, hopefully it keeps going. Does yours vibrate without balancer?

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I have rebuilt many many many of the k series Kohler’s . Very good engines but like anything else the wear out/fail.
I would not run it without those balance gears, likely the needle bearings failed (part number gb88) as well as the pins they run on. I have the manual that explains the side clearances and how to time them to the crankshaft, I can take pics and send them to you if you like.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the offer Mr goodwrench but unfortunately on this motor when the gears went it tore the top pin out of the block and broke the casting out around it. You are correct it looked like the needle bearings went first.