Krylon cover MAXX

bobs409

Administrator
I used to love Krylon spray paint but after trying this new version called "Cover Maxx" I'll certainly think twice before buying their paint again!

First I noticed this with the gloss black, it's very thin. Was hoping it was only with the gloss but nope! Got a few cans of the Satin black to repaint the doors and top of the Jeep (because I'm too lazy to shoot it with the gun) :D TERRIBLE!!! Same over thinned paint.

They have a hell of a nerve saying "cover" in the name. This stuff takes 4 coats if you're lucky to cover anything. It just bleeds right through.

I also noticed they changed the sprayer tip which now puts out about a 1" pattern. No matter how you try, it leaves tiger stripes in any larger area's, even small Jeep doors. I took a sprayer from an old can I had and it gave me a 3" pattern but it's so watered down, it still left stripes!

Heed my warning, this stuff is garbage! Ultimate coverage my ass!

Here's the old can (the good stuff!) and what the new looks like:

Krylon-1613_1.jpg
kry.jpg

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A comment that is probably not apples to apples but something I have always thought interesting. Years ago , while at WalMart, I needed some primer for a job and didn't want to go through loading the gun to do a small job. There was a large display of black and gray primer ,, 96 cents per can. Most people know I am a cheap-skate so no surprise I bought some to try. I just went out to the shop so I could supply the Wal-Mart brand and low and behold, there is no brand. Now, we all know how this works, a large company contracts a supplier to make a product for them so they can offer it for a lesser price. My point is, that primer was the best spray primer I have ever used . I once used it to primer a complete outer firewall ( convenience) then shot single stage enamel on it and the result was great. I have used it many times over the years and have never been disappointed. Of course, I would never use it on a job that would be exposed to high temp. I have also used their regular color paints on certain jobs. Again, no complaints about quality. Gloss black or flat black, white, etc. 96 cents a can compared to 2.95 - 3.95 for name brand????? It is NOT in the automotive section, must look in the regular paint dept.

bobs409

Administrator
I like the primer from Walmart and also use the flat black as "guide coat". Works perfectly. They don't have satin black or I'd probably use that. ;)

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Can't comment on Maxx, but the last time I used Krylon paint, the gas ran out, before the paint.:doh Still had more than 1/2 left.:mad5

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I tried that paint a couple of months ago, had the same results. the regular krylon is much better. on a side note anyone ever use majic paint rattle cans? they carry it a running stores around here absolutely the best rattle can gloss black paint I have ever used, takes a full 24 hours to completely dry but well worth it.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I like appliance epoxy for a gloss black. I have not tried any other colors. Goes on great, and the coverage is good too.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You can still get the old Krylon semi gloss black (1603, I think it is) but its a commercial order.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
1613 Cecil. I just found 2 unopened cases of it that I've had for years.

NEW INFO!!!! 1613 is black PRIMER!!!! Good news is................I found 4 more new cans!!
Also 4 cans of 1318 Gray primer.

Last edited:

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
You have to shake till your ball's rattle!!!:D

Saw a “tip” somewhere on how to shake spray can using a sawzall. Tape spray can to old long blade and turn on sawzall. (Blade should be in sawzall). Shake to your hearts content. Haven’t tried yet, but sounds good.

Fuzz

MAGA

Junky

Well Known Member
Paint is changing faster than the weather. Tried to buy some Sherwin Williams oil based paint, only to learn that it was discontinued about 3 years ago, because of state regulations. The only place that that the oil based paint is available in is Vermont according to the counter guy. I will learn to live without it. Automotive lacquer paint was dropped about a year ago by PPG, and all that is available now locally, is enamel or water based. I lucked out by them having enough of the old lacquer tints to make me a quart and a pint of color for my car. I went to the local SEM dealer to have some SEM vinyl paint mixed to match, and they no longer do this. Went back to my old paint store, and he said that he was still tinting SEM and putting it into spray cans, and that SEM hasn't discontinued the products, but that as the guys that retire that know how to tint, companies are not investing in training the younger guys to learn the methods, since all too often, it is too expensive to train them, especially when they don't see working at one job for more than a couple of years, before moving onto another job. The days of someone staying at the same job for a decade or more are mostly gone.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm a Rust-oleum guy myself so this thread doesn't apply to me. :laugh2 Get it? APPLY!...
Paint is changing faster than the weather. Tried to buy some Sherwin Williams oil based paint, only to learn that it was discontinued about 3 years ago, because of state regulations. The only place that that the oil based paint is available in is Vermont according to the counter guy. I will learn to live without it. Automotive lacquer paint was dropped about a year ago by PPG, and all that is available now locally, is enamel or water based. I lucked out by them having enough of the old lacquer tints to make me a quart and a pint of color for my car. I went to the local SEM dealer to have some SEM vinyl paint mixed to match, and they no longer do this. Went back to my old paint store, and he said that he was still tinting SEM and putting it into spray cans, and that SEM hasn't discontinued the products, but that as the guys that retire that know how to tint, companies are not investing in training the younger guys to learn the methods, since all too often, it is too expensive to train them, especially when they don't see working at one job for more than a couple of years, before moving onto another job. The days of someone staying at the same job for a decade or more are mostly gone.
My work place used SEM for some time. We switched as soon as the local Oreilly's started mixing our paints. They do good work with scanning the paint color on your car or matching an interior color by eye. I have a rainbow of colors that were matched specifically for vinyl interior projects I have done over the last few years. It really depends on the person who is mixing though. I've only painted cars with Lacquer because that is what my dad showed me. Now I have no experience shooting the new auto paints so I just leave it up to my buddies and father in law who paints cars for a living.