L33: the forgotten 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Interesting that they refer to the 340 horse 409 not as a "detuned" 409 but more closely aligned with the previous 348 designs. Makes some sense, small port heads and cast iron intakes, etc., etc.

Good article. The engine in question is from a 1963 Impala four speed car owned by Tom Evers out of Massachusetts. He's a regular on the ChevyTalk forum.

The build was a reasonably stock 340 horse 409, using the 817 heads, center dump GM exhaust, Egge cast pistons, replica cam, etc. Dyno showed 319.3 Horses @ 4600 RPM and a whopping 443.1 foot pounds of torque at 2900 RPM.

Best,
TomK

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Read that article last night also. That's one book that when I pick it up I can't hardly put it down till I get to the back cover. :dunno

Lonnie

I

IMBVSUR?

I need to get that article because that is what I have in mine. But when it does come out, it wont be detuned anymore. Nothing radical either, just a little bump.

jeff

No409

Supporting Member 1
thats the engine we just had done for my dads newest 63. The carb was still screwed up when they dynoed it. Its been sorted out, and the engine is back in the car running mint

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I am going to have to find and read that article. That is the engine I have been abusing for 49 years.:dance

No409

Supporting Member 1
the car we got was out of TX, sitting since the early 80`s. its a black on black 63 impala( not a ss, i think Steve was just mistaken cause we have a few ss's) got it running, started bending pushrods, i got a bunch of stuff from Phil, but it was determend that it needed a rebuild. I use Donny @ RAD in ludlow,ma for all my stuff, so we sent it there. ill try to find some pics of the car when we first got it from TX

its supposedly a chrome steel wheel car also, which in my opinion would look cool, black on black, chrome steelies, dog dishes, blackwall.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Congratulations Tom!!! Dad told me the article was coming out. I have to go buy one now too!!!!

I

IMBVSUR?

Which month was that article in? What car was on the cover? I am having a hard time finding the magazine. thanks

Jef

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Hemmings called it a "BONUS ISSUE". It was issue #112 and I believe it was only sent to the regular subscribers. My regular Jan. issue is #113. Leo

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
For those who purchase at the bookstore or newstand or wherever (i.e., do not have a subscription) they reportedly bundled up two issues, the regular and the bonus issue. A "two-fer"!

Best,
TomK