L88 racing legacy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Next to the 409 my favorite "other" engine I yearn for is the now legendary L88 BBC, used in production for a few selected 1967-69 Corvettes. The January 2006 issue of Corvette Fever covers the "L88 story" in a historical fashion (pages 24-30), and in doing so mentions some of the earlier GM developments, notably the 1963 Z06 Corvette, the five Grand Sports with the 377 aluminum block (all SBCs) and the "Mark II mystery motor program". Text is by Alan Colvin, photos by Jerry Heasley. Special thanks to Kevin Mackay and Franz Estereicher.

Story starts out talking about the Z06 production, the secretly designed Grand Sports, then leads up to the BBC origins (Mark II development program). Here is some straight text from that article:

"The new 427 engine had been developed from the Mark II mystery motor program, which had been planned in the Fall of 1962. Four mystery motor Mark II 427 engines were shipped to Smokey Yunick's shop in Daytona beach, Florida, and in conjunction with Mickey Thompson's team were installed in two stock appearing Z06 coupes. ... Both were entered in the February 16, 1963 American Challenge Cup Race. Bill Krause and Rex White were the drivers. This was the first Corvette racing appearance of the 427 mystery motor.

During this time, a development L88 engine was sent from GM to Delmo Johnson, who installed the engine into a Grand Sport coupe and raced at the 12 Hours of Sebring on March 27, 1965....

On January 14, 1966, a special-development L88 Corvette came down the line at the St. Louis plant, destined to be delivered to the Penske racing team in Philadelphia, PA."

Thought some of you historical types might be interested in this article, replete with pictures and cut-away views of the mighty L88. Assuming the facts to be correct, I learned a lot about the development of this engine. If I ever get around to cloning a 1963 Grand Sport (I have the IRS chassis ready, no body or drivetrain) I would put a 1963 QB 409/425 engine in it even though Zora would likely turn in his grave over that matchup :).

Cheers!
TomK

M

MK IISS

Thanks, Tom. As you know I'm interested in the historical stuff. I saw my first new L88 Corvette at a dealer in, I believe 1967. Some local guy had ordered it to drive on the street ! I don't remember much about it except it was black and was supprised when I opened the hood that the air cleaner element stayed with the hood, not the air cleaner base.

I think in 1966 you could get a L88 over the counter or at least a partial engine assembly. A local Chevy dealer raced a '66 Chevelle SS 396 Stock Car with a L88 Type 427 at our local circle track. As I remember it though, the engine had iron heads.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is a Chevelle,,67-68? here on a lot,, OK,,,,inside the lot building,,,
with a documented factory alum headed L-88,,,,
Red on black convertable !!!!! Says it`s one of FIVE !! :brow
And the price????

,,,ready???

,,, $200,000 !!!!!!!:doh

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
early L88s

Richard:

I figured you'd be interested :).

Pretty neat picture of an early (1965) pre-production L88 in that article.

The fella who checks and rebuilds my four speeds (Wayne Euper of Richmond, MO) still has the 1959 El Camino he ordered new. He tried to get the 348 with a four speed (think the 4 speed was possibly new that year?) but his small town local Chevy dealer said he'd have to wait forever, so he took possession of a 283 three speed car (actually Elkies are more like "mermaids" to me!). After blowing that engine up at the drag strip, he ordered a crate 409/425 which he raced for a few years. When the L88 became available over the counter he replaced the "W" with that BBC. What a history that vehicle has!

He still has it, but sold the "W" and the L88. As I recall, he told me he ordered the L88 unassembled (if that's possible) and built the engine himself to his specs. Probably changed a few things. I know he knows what year, probably what day he purchased that L88. I'll have to ask him. I did ask who he sold both motors (engines) to, and he said they are long gone. Darn the luck!

He does still have the Elky, it's in perfect condition. New Black over Black exterior/interior. Plans are to put a 454 in it. Definitely a four speed. He's known as "Mr. Fourspeed" around here. Just ask Phil Reed :).

Thanks for being interested. I think these historical engines are significant landmarks in our musclecar history, and that they deserve the attention folks like you give them :).

Best,
TomK

M

MK IISS

Tom: My uncle (dealer) told me the early 59 348/4 spds (1st official year) were hard to get. There is still an unsettled argument about some '58 4 spds being built but I don't think anyone has come up with a documented car.

A friend of mine ordered a new '68 SS 396 Chevelle along with a L88 engine from the parts dept. When the car came in the dealer installed the L88 before my friend took delivery. Some people, in town, thought the car was factory built with the L88. That '68 with the L88 was the strongest running Chevelle I've ever known including my '70 LS6 454.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
I have no record of a factory 67 L88 Chevelles except thru aftermarket Motion Performance/BALDWIN CHEV

M

MK IISS

Mark: The only factory built 427 Chevelles I know of were the 1969 COPO L72 427s. Chevrolet was not the only GM division that "cheated" the 400 cubic inch rule with their 427 COPO '69 Camaros and Chevelles. The 1968 and 1969 455 Hurst Olds had factory installed 455s. The 455 engines were not installed by Hurst, which has always been the official story....all Hurst did was the cosmetics.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Back in 72 a friend had a L88 67 Vette ragtop.Lined up with my 409 Impala and stayed even with it! Not bad since I had 4.56s and he had 3.36s. He had a burnt piston top and blew the valve covers off starting it one night!

I think it got sold for around $900 back then for a new Chevelle for his brother. I was a college student and an extra $900 just wasn't there for me to get it.

Back inthe old days when premium was $0.269

Impala

I'm very very new to this so please excuse me. I'm very interested in reading what everyone has to say. I found the L88 post very interesting. I wanted to add that a local from town has a 1969 chevelle SS el camino 396 alum. head with a turbo 400. He ordered this car new as a tow vehicle for his drag car. Car is very very complete and looks nice. Not sure how many of these are still around.

Thanks,
Rip

M

MK IISS

Rip: The alum. heads were an option (RPO L89) on the '69 L78 375 horsepower 396. The engine is also known as the L78/L89 or I've also seen it listed as the L89/L78 or just plain L89. Anyway the L89 alum. head option was quite expensive @ $647.75 in addition to the L78 @ $252.80 plus the SS package which was another $347.60 for a total of $1248.15 I believe only about 400 L78/L89s were ordered/built.

Impala

Wow! That would make his car very rare. It may be one of the only el camino's with that engine package. I want to say that the engine has never been removed or taken apart. It still retains the original valve covers/air cleaner. I'll have to stop by his home again this summer and leave my name and number if he ever decides to sell.

Thanks again,
Rip

M

MK IISS

Rip: The L89 alum. head option was also available on the L71 427 Corvette engine which had 3X2bbl carbs and was rated at 435 horsepower.

1968L35SS

Here are a couple of pictures of a local guy here in Az that has a 1968 Dick Harrell L88 convertedNova. This car has a L88 427 with a t400 and 4.10 rear. I have ridden in this car and to say it is a rocketship is an understatement!!! Also, this car is UNRESTORED!! I have witnessed thiscarrun 13.3xx's at the track but what was incredible was it ran over 115 miles an hour in the 1/4 mile.
Bill

Attachments

• Marks681m.jpg
    Marks681m.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 103
  • Marks682m.jpg
    Marks682m.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Marks683m.jpg
    Marks683m.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Marks684m.jpg
    Marks684m.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 152

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nice car! With a trap speed of 115 you know that car's making some serious horsepower.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There`s something about an engine with alum intake and heads !:cool:
I think it makes the top end appear as one unit !:brow
I lightened the pictures for you,,dq

Attachments

• Re-exposure of Marks681m.jpg
    Re-exposure of Marks681m.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Re-exposure of Marks682m.jpg
    Re-exposure of Marks682m.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Re-exposure of Marks683m.jpg
    Re-exposure of Marks683m.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 38

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just to add to the list of favorites, I loved the poor man's version of the ZL-1. They sometimes called it a ZL-X. It was an over the counter item. In 73 the short block was a wopping $550! It was a ZL-1 with an iron block. Still have one in the basement. Had it in my 64 but was never able to get it to hook. Ran 12.50@121@ a touch over 4000# Bob