Large port head valve relief volume in CC's ?

409envy

Well Known Member
I tried doing a search for this but came up empty. I know the only correct way to determine the volume of the valve pocket would be to CC it. However, I was wondering if any one on this site has done it before. The heads are original with stock replacement stainless valves.

I also know that 333 heads actually have a small chamber cast into the valve area that would obviously yield a greater volume. But for this particular application I just care about "690" or "583" castings.

Thanks,
Evan

409envy

Well Known Member
Yeah I know the edelbrocks were like 17cc. I thought the 690's were less... I am going to cc them just doing some bench racing.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I recall, mine were about 15 including the volume of the head gasket. I might have it written down somewhere.

409envy

Well Known Member
If I recall, mine were about 15 including the volume of the head gasket. I might have it written down somewhere.

So your head gaskets were what compressed thickness? Diameter? Should be able to back calculate from there

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can't find my notes so the 15 may be incorrect. It wasn't more than 20 though. It was a .040 gasket but you have to keep in mind that the gasket isn't round so if you figure the volume of a disc .040 thick, the volume will be a little smaller than it really is. I don't have any spare gaskets laying around to give any measurements.

Windingout

Supporting Member 2
Check later on this section, posted by jim_ss409 Dec 8 2015 around page 4 or 5 the post said 690 heads are about 8cc. There is earlier posts comparing eddy's to 690 heads at 7 or 8cc. With eddys around 13 if I remember correctly.

409envy

Well Known Member
Thanks! have heard everything from 7cc all the way up to 17cc. i will share with everyone what i find when i measure mine.