Late Great Chevy Magazine car 1994

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
BEFORE it was my car, my 62 was featured in Late Great Chevy magazine in December of 1994. This documentation helped me research the engine and it is pretty neat. I just got my engine back together after a trip from the machine shop. It is waiting for me to install.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
BEFORE it was my car, my 62 was featured in Late Great Chevy magazine in December of 1994. This documentation helped me research the engine and it is pretty neat. I just got my engine back together after a trip from the machine shop. It is waiting for me to install.

That article on the Candy Apple Kicker '62 was my good friend Kenny Huttner's. Charlie Bubka and I used to race all the time at Westhampton Raceway. We also went a few rounds at National Speedway here on Long Island.
That motor was the twin to my '63 QB 409.Image-001.jpg I still see Charlie once in awhile. I haven't seen Kenny in years.

Last edited:

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That article on the Candy Apple Kicker '62 was my good friend Kenny Huttner's. Charlie Bubka and I used to race all the time at Westhampton Raceway. We also went a few rounds at National Speedway here on Long Island.
That motor was the twin to my '63 QB 409.View attachment 23823 I still see Charlie once in awhile. I haven't seen Kenny in years.
I met Kenny at some car shows when i use to go to them with my car , he was one of my insperations for me putting a 409 in my car, at that time i had a 327 SBC

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wished mine had been featured, instead I have to settle for a cover shot :cry Very nice though to see your ride in a magazine, looks great.
SuperChevy_zps2cce5fb5.jpg

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That motor was the twin to my '63 QB 409.View attachment 23823 I still see Charlie once in awhile. I haven't seen Kenny in years.
K-9,

I am sure your friend Mr. Huttner took very good car of the car. Do you know when he sold it?? I bought it off the family of the fellow who purchased it from your pal Kenny. It was clean, but had been in storage for quite awhile...You know what that does to the cars. The fella I bought it from was selling his brother's estate, unfortunately. I went through it mechanically and put it on the road the first year I had it. I rebuilt the suspension; fore and aft. Did the brakes and rear; everything was leaking. It needed a bath too, but it was and is a very nice job by your friend.

I took it off the road last year, pulled the engine apart and sent it out to the machine shop. Considered stroking it, but opted for 6.135" H beam rods, light weight pistons and fully rollerized valve-train. I located a pair of 3361 & 3362 carbs and went through them. Rebuilt the gear box and am getting ready to install front discs and new coils spring AGAIN! (The ones I bought lowered the car, unintended)

Tell him I am taking good care of her. The paint and interior still look great after nearly 25 years!

Merry X-mas,

Sean

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I wished mine had been featured, instead I have to settle for a cover shot :cry Very nice though to see your ride in a magazine, looks great.
SuperChevy_zps2cce5fb5.jpg
[/

Yours is way nicer! Super Chevy is a major publication. Way to go!
It has changed hands twice since they published that article on it. K-9's buddy did a really nice job and deserves all the credit.

Merry X-mas,

Sean

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I don't think it is, my dad used to get it...

I bet I have that issue of Late Great, I was member #331 and have every issue until it was sold and turned into more of a parts magazine then I bailed, is Late Great still around ? Steve
Back in the late 70s when I was the president of the "LONG ISLAND CHEVY OWNER'S ASSOC " I was asked by Late Great Chevy to have my club become the tri State Chapter of LATE GREAT CHEVY. I have no idea if they are still around. I asked the 250 + members if they wanted to have the L.I.C.O.A. become a chapter and the majority of them voted no. I suggested that if they wanted to join Late Great , they most certainly could do so.
I think I have a picture of Kenny and one of his cars from our 1st car show "CHEVY SHOWDOWN" in I think 1978.
I will try to find it and post it here as soon as I can. I may even have a copy of our 1st newsletter "CLASSIC LINES " My friend Kenny Wells ( WENGINE)used to do the art work for the newsletter cover.
Now I got to get to searchin.:pray:rub
:crazy:dance:cheers

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Back in the late 70s when I was the president of the "LONG ISLAND CHEVY OWNER'S ASSOC " I was asked by Late Great Chevy to have my club become the tri State Chapter of LATE GREAT CHEVY. I have no idea if they are still around. I asked the 250 + members if they wanted to have the L.I.C.O.A. become a chapter and the majority of them voted no. I suggested that if they wanted to join Late Great , they most certainly could do so.
I think I have a picture of Kenny and one of his cars from our 1st car show "CHEVY SHOWDOWN" in I think 1978.
I will try to find it and post it here as soon as I can. I may even have a copy of our 1st newsletter "CLASSIC LINES " My friend Kenny Wells ( WENGINE)used to do the art work for the newsletter cover.
Now I got to get to searchin.:pray:rub
:crazy:dance:cheers
K-9,

My dad belonged to the V.C.C.A. (Vintage Chevrolet Club of America). I can't remember where he found Late Great Chevys, I think it may have been at Carlisle, PA. swap meet. Anyway, VCCA I believe is still around. He sent me the magazines when I was in the Marine Corps. I still have one with sand in it from the 1st Gulf War! I kept a picture of my dad's 62 Impala in my cargo pocket the whole year I was gone overseas...still have it and still have dad. I am a fortunate son. Let me know if you get ahold of Mr. Huttner and what you come up with. You guys are close up in Long Island. None of the guys I know in MD drive their 409's...May as well build a model and stick it in a lexan box...:beer