Latest addition to the family

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
Julius409.jpg

the one on the left: 85lbs.
the one on the right: a little more

she's healthy, beautiful, and orange. A little big for bouncing on my knee at the moment, but I'm OK with that.

I bought her from a member on this site, and couldn't be happier with her. She's everything I wanted. Next step...heads. I'd like to get the valve seat work for unleaded gas because I will definitely be taking her on long cruises. I know that's a bit of a controversy, but can anyone offer some suggestions on what to look for in a shop, or any shops that people have had good luck with? I don't mind a drive if it means good work. They're 583 heads.

Also, anyone know how to shrink this pic down using the "IMG" tag for future posts?

thanks for looking
Tom

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, Congratulations with your purchase. I would suggest not pulling the heads for new valve seats unless they are worn badly. Those heads are much too valuable to take a chance on new seat installation. If they are healthy, it would seem more sensible to use a lead additive if you are concerned. Just my opinion. Good luck and keep us informed.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm not even gonna say anything now!!!! Not until I get all my brains cells realigned!!!:roll :roll

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, If you are referring to " foot in mouth disease ", I wouldn't worry about it. I have suffered from that disease many times and after 8 or 10 years, noone will remember a thing. :roll

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Not until I get all my brains cells realigned!!!:roll :roll

One more order of business.....need to beat DQ to this................Jim, even after getting my brain cells realigned..................I still wouldn't consider voting for Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've said that...I feel better..............................

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
I was thinking that new valve seats would protect my investment and give me peace of mind, but I'll just stick with the expert advice and leave them alone. I guess it's time to figure out how to get that TPI on there...:scratch

and the easier part...how to tune it :brow

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tom,
Glad to hear you found what you need! :clap I wish I had known you had it yesterday :doh , I would have had another short block in my shop.
icon_wink.gif

:roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Send another picture of your "shop buddy" I can't imagine you putting enough strain and stress on a good valve job to warrant the chance of a head problem with installing a hardseat. Also Make sure you know what your distributor is doing!!!!!!!!
Robert

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
Make sure you know what your distributor is doing!!!!!!!!

Do you mean as far as tuning the TPI, or is this another secret I need to learn about?

Send another picture of your "shop buddy"

You asked for it...

My girlfriend was in Home Depot one day shopping for whatever and she came across this covered in tar:

The vet later would tell us he was most likely a pure-bred(by looking at his teeth) approx. 6 month old yellow lab. No leash, no collar, the store is in a rural section surrounded by highways, so he either was dropped off by a fed-up owner (knowing the dog, this is most likely) or he escaped his captives and travelled very far.

He was thirsty, let himself into the store, and was avoiding everyone except my girlfriend...who was carrying a water bottle. So she let him drink.

She took him to the store manager who took pictures and posted signs throughout the store grounds. The signs had our phone number on it. Then she took him to the nearby SPCA and left pictures and our phone number there. 2 1/2 years later and no calls yet.

this is a shot of him a couple weeks later taking out a cat burglar:

a few weeks after that, girl, friend, and dog were playing in a local park and the dog jumped up to catch a thrown toy and landed wrong. The dog used to jump up and twist in the air when catching things. This is bad for some landings:

that's 2 breaks in his femur

The fracture apparently was loud enough to be heard from 15 ft away. He just let out a few long groans and sat there. The girls took him to a vet hospital about 45 minutes away. 2 days later, he came back home

We had to carry him up and down steps and keep him on a leash when he went outside or when he was in a large room. Trying to keep an 8 month old labrador from running is quite a task. There was no cast, just what you see in the x-rays and a shaved leg. The night after the surgery, he was putting some weight on it when he walked, and in a week he was running around the house :eek:

A broken bone on a dog is funny because they don't heal as well as humans, so some movement is necessary for a good heal, but him running around was not good. We were constantly yelling at him to stop.

It took him about 3 months to fully recover, and I mean FULLY. He's got a mean looking scar, and can run and jump like a maniac. Here he is jumping after floating hot embers:

I have some pics of him doing the long jump off the docks into the lake, but I can't find them. If I had the time, I'd love to enter him some contests.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Eotnak: Great pictures and story about your garage buddy. I have a cat burglar chew toy like yours but mine is in worse shape due to the Golden Retriever giving it heck occasionally.
No "secret" on the distributor just that on our motors used on the street I believe the advance rate and total advance as well as initial advance need to be "not overboard" or in some cases if too low enough can cause heat issues. I was hoping Jim K would have time to check his timing light accuracy test before our "driving season" (hint hint) Definitely quicker then checking on a old Sun Machine
Robert

fixnfab

To Eotnak

Thanks for sharing the great story and pictures of your "buddy". It sounds like he
found himself a loving home indeed. I've got six "buddies" myself, all of which are
adopted. Luv'em all !!!!!!! :hug

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We have four...

that somehow found us, including a border collie "race dog" and the chevy driver shown in the attachment. This guy is in charge of fitness and conditioning for the race dog.

Attachments

• 040613 004.jpg
    040613 004.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 59

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Pretty good repair! Looks like a couple of hundred in appliances in there. Hard to cast/splint that bone so internal fixation is the way to go. Originally designed by the Swiss for all those ski injuries to get people up and going and not just in traction in the hospital!

I've heard stainless valves gives a little insurance on the seats too, different allow than what's in the leg repair though!

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
he was the third dog we found in a 7 day period...We went to Cape Cod the weekend before, and as we were riding our bikes, we came across a friendly little jack russel terrier mix saying hi to everyone who walked by. Eventually someone from the neighborhood came by and we left him with them. the next day we came across a german shepard mix running scared between cars in a 35 mph zone (where everyone does 60). We managed to convince her to come to us after about 20 minutes. She was trembling as I carried her into the car, but the second I closed the door it was a completely different dog...happy as could be. Another local drove us to the shelter where they had an outside cage with food and water for dropping of strays...so Julius came about 5 days later and it was a like a sign from above or something