leaking pinion seal?

MoboMac

Well Known Member
I have several X-frame cars.....(59 and 63)...that leak from the pinion seal...while sitting for long periods of time...

I did some research on it a while back.....and thought I read in the factory manual that it was actually a packing....and NOT a seal?

Can anybody enlighten me on this.....and detail the repair procedure?

Thanks for any input...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Remove driveshaft from pinion yoke.Remove pinion yoke.Remove pinion seal.Clean up front of diff. ,and install new seal[using the correct size seal installer can be a big help].Re-install pinion yoke,tighten pinion nut[a new nut isn't a bad idea] until all play is removed.Using an inch pound torque wrench,gradually tighten pinion nut until it takes from 10-15 inch pounds to take up the backlash[back and forth].If you're re-using the original pinion nut,take a sharp punch and peen the nut and pinion shaft,re-attach drive shaft,top up gear oil and go.

bobs409

Administrator
Remove driveshaft from pinion yoke.Remove pinion yoke.Remove pinion seal.Clean up front of diff. ,and install new seal[using the correct size seal installer can be a big help].Re-install pinion yoke,tighten pinion nut[a new nut isn't a bad idea] until all play is removed.Using an inch pound torque wrench,gradually tighten pinion nut until it takes from 10-15 inch pounds to take up the backlash[back and forth].If you're re-using the original pinion nut,take a sharp punch and peen the nut and pinion shaft,re-attach drive shaft,top up gear oil and go.

Well now I'm confused. :wacko 10-15 inch pounds? I thought the pinion nut was cranked on big time? When I did my 72 Chevelle, I had to put a pipe on it to get it off.

Figured I better ask as I have to do my 63 soon. :)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Re-read instructions,Bob!:doh Once all all the play is taken up,THEN gradually tighten the pinion nut until the 10-15 inch pound spec is achieved.One thing that I forgot to mention is to lay a bead of silicon into the crevace where the large washer goes in the yoke,then install washer and nut.This will prevent gear oil from leaking through the splines. :read

Attachments

• read04[1].gif
    read04[1].gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 1

bobs409

Administrator
Ah, I see, the back and forth motion. Gonna say, I torque my tire stem caps to 15 inch pounds. :laugh2