leaking rear wheel bearing

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
I am trying to determine the source of my leaking rear wheel bearing in my '63 Biscayne. I suspect the oil is coming through the bearing rather than around it passed the O-rings. Looking at the bearing structure (see attached photo), I am wondering how the oil normally gets into the bearing. It looks like the seal, if functioning normally, would block all fluid flow into the bearing itself.
Dan Fults

Attachments

• rear axle bearing.JPG
    rear axle bearing.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 35

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You have a bad bearing,Dan.Those bearings are the "perma-lube' style bearings,meaning that they're lubed for life from the factory.Mike[58Delivery] has those[the good ones] at an attractive price.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Ah, stupid me! Now I get it. With the sealed-type bearing, there's no need for oil to leave the differential housing and reach the bearing surface.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,The only "stupid "questions are the ones that aren't asked.You don't know what you don't know.:deal

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I see a cut outer o ring on the outer bearing surface ,are you sure it's not just those o ring's leaking??? Those can be replaced!!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you have any nick's or gouge's in housing where the bearing set's in housing???You have replaced bearing twice????Odd that two bearing's leak, may be you have bad bearing 's, may be the guy's know some thing about the bearing failure ---{ leak}--- that i don't.?????

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Check with Mike...58 Delivery....I think his are true sealed bearings.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
shoooooo like to see one those self sealing bearing's , i'm curious to see what they look like!!!!

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for recommending 348/409-er Mike (aka 1958 Delivery). I ordered a set of new bearings from him today. This pesky oil leak is preventing me from enjoying the quiet ride of my new 3.36:1 gear set.

big block w

Mine leaked twice the second time I did it I installed the axle with some black RTV so far so good .If it leaks again I going to pull the axle have the axle polished about 2 inches away from bearing install a seal in the axle tube , you can find a seal by dimensions via good auto parts store like CQ