LED garage lights

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The price when Lawn Boy was making those ignition parts was about $25 back many years ago. Like most older electronic items the price has more than doubled as now they are right at $100 and made somewhere off shore. It also didn't fit exactly like the oem one but I got it to work! I thought about scraping the mower but the new four cycle ones don't have the power of that 2 cycle series Lawn Boy.
I had the same issue last year with an ignition problem on a older two cycle 225 hp Johnson outboard and the replacement offshore ignition and charging system and install was about 4K! Scrapped the motor.
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
BTTT......I'm wanting to get something on my shop ceiling in the next month or so.
What have been your results since this was posted originally? I have 12' ceiling so will need a helper with his own 12' ladder!!!!!

bobs409

Administrator
If you're asking me, mine are still GREAT! I love these LED's. For 12' ceilings you would need something bigger than the ones I'm using or use more of them. For the tall ceiling areas in my garage, I mounted my lights on aluminum angle and suspended them from chain so they are maybe 8-9' high. I have none directly above my cars.

Probably best to buy a light or two and test them out. Over work bench areas, these are great but way up high not so much...

I see the link I gave is still good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ENR1IE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Every time I look though, the price goes up! I got my first batch for $49.99, then it went up some by the next time and now they are up to $62 plus. Might be a better deal out there but avoid similar ones with a different name that don't have a good warranty. Hyperikon is the name of mine.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Phil, I put a few 4' led lights up in the shop a couple months ago. They are 4500 lumens, I think that's what the rating is. I will be replacing all of my fluorescents with them as the fluorescents burn out. Nice and bright and instant on in the cold. I use the bright white led lights, which have a cloudy white plastic cover on the bulb. I tried an led light with no cover on the bulb and did not like it at all. It was way too bright and I could look up at all sine the light was blinding. There is a single led strip in each light and they are much brighter than the 40 watt fluorescent two tube lights I am replacing. I purchased a four pack of the fluorescents off of Amazon for $98.00 And also 1 from, Home Depot to try, and it was around $35.00. I will be ordering more as needed. I recommend the "linkable" lights as they can be plugged into one another in series so only the end light gets hooked to power. Just my 2 cents. Your results may vary.

bobs409

Administrator
Looks good to me! You might have basically the same thing I have Jim. Mine come with connector cords to join them and also a cord with a plug and rocker switch. I have (16) of these in my 2.5 garage. I have mine set up 2 lights per switch. I'm just cheap I guess but I only light the area I'm working in. That leads me to this; I tend to use the 2 lights over my mill/lathe area the most. What I do is every few months, I swap those fixtures with 2 from another area so they all get some use. With these, they just snap in place with 2 metal clips and they are light as a feather so it's real easy to swap them around.

Having light colored walls helps reflect the light. The K is for Kelvins which will dictate the color. I think there are something like 4000k, 4500k, 5000k and higher. Not sure which way it goes but one end of the scael is a bluish white, then pure white and then they get more yellowish. The same thing as fluorescent, they too had this rating.

When I replaced my fluorescent lights, it was a huge change in color! At first I thought, uh oh, maybe I made a mistake but within a few minutes you start to realize that the brighter whtie light is so much better for a garage/work area! I could see things in much more detail. Within no time, you won't even remember the change. I'd leave the yellowish ones for more house use/ rec room situation.

If you go back to page 3 of this post, I posted pics of mine where I compare the old with the new. Just one of these single lights were brighter than a double 4' fixture and just about the same as my old double 8' fluorescents. Just lighting 1 of those 8' fixtures used 220w! One of these I tested with a meter was 25w. (package says 24w but oh well...)

Another bonus with these is if you have the habit of turning lights off when leave an area or lots of on/off use like I do, LED's don't mind that a bit! It will not affect their life.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I went with a mixture of LEDs and conventional flourescents to save some $$$. I went with all LEDs in the upper section, and 75% LED in the lower section. Used those 4 foot fixtures, got 'em from Home Depot. I think there are some 60 fixtures all total.

I did try a few of those circular LEDs on the side walls and near a garage door, they aren't very effective so stay away from just using those (they go in ceiling canisters within the sheetrock).

Sorry Phil, my favorite ladder only reaches 10 feet and I've been using it to hang paneling on the walls to cover up the insulated stud walls :).

My new hip has been up and down that ladder wayyyy to often this past week, and I'm sore all over so I won't be there for the hanging party...

Cheers! TomK

dualquadpete

Well Known Member
When rebuilding my shop after fire & put all LED fixtures in [4' er's] 3 over ea.bay [6] & 3 across bench, Lights up like day light in there,+ painted walls a light colour!!! [Cdn. spelling] Way better than the florescence ones in previous garage!!!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks good to me! You might have basically the same thing I have Jim. Mine come with connector cords to join them and also a cord with a plug and rocker switch. I have (16) of these in my 2.5 garage. I have mine set up 2 lights per switch. I'm just cheap I guess but I only light the area I'm working in. That leads me to this; I tend to use the 2 lights over my mill/lathe area the most. What I do is every few months, I swap those fixtures with 2 from another area so they all get some use. With these, they just snap in place with 2 metal clips and they are light as a feather so it's real easy to swap them around.

Having light colored walls helps reflect the light. The K is for Kelvins which will dictate the color. I think there are something like 4000k, 4500k, 5000k and higher. Not sure which way it goes but one end of the scael is a bluish white, then pure white and then they get more yellowish. The same thing as fluorescent, they too had this rating.

When I replaced my fluorescent lights, it was a huge change in color! At first I thought, uh oh, maybe I made a mistake but within a few minutes you start to realize that the brighter whtie light is so much better for a garage/work area! I could see things in much more detail. Within no time, you won't even remember the change. I'd leave the yellowish ones for more house use/ rec room situation.

If you go back to page 3 of this post, I posted pics of mine where I compare the old with the new. Just one of these single lights were brighter than a double 4' fixture and just about the same as my old double 8' fluorescents. Just lighting 1 of those 8' fixtures used 220w! One of these I tested with a meter was 25w. (package says 24w but oh well...)

Another bonus with these is if you have the habit of turning lights off when leave an area or lots of on/off use like I do, LED's don't mind that a bit! It will not affect their life.
Sounds like I have the same or very similar lights as you Bob. They attach with the two clips.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I switched my entire shop to LED spin in bulbs and gave away the florescents. I took out 24 of the 4 footers and replaced them with 24 spin in 100w type bulbs that use 14w a piece. They are the bright 5600K and light up my 34x24 shop great. Don't use standard white or warm color bulbs, you are in a shop and need bright lights. I save a ton of money on electric! It doesn't matter how cold it gets either, they come on to full power before I even get a chance to hit the thermostat to warm the place up. Try to get a 4ft florescent bulb to turn on in -20 degree temps. After that I switched every bulb in my house to LED and my electric bill has gone down by about half over the last 2 years. We have little kids running around the house so we keep multiple rooms on at all times to see what the devils are up to. One key to using any light is to actually space them out evenly too. It costs me $1 to replace one should it go bad but they are LEDs they last for ever.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
get the highest lumens you can. its a blue white light not yellow. jmho jim
You mean Kelvin not really lumens. You can get a 5000 lumen bulb but its better for a security light outside. Or maybe a large pole barn that for some reason you would want to use only one light up above. Get the highest Kelvin as stated in my previous post I use 5600k but they have 6000k too. Look for "day light or bright white" those should have some of the highest Kelvins.

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
I buy my four foot LED's at Sam's Club. They are great. I think the two pack of 4 ft'ers, are $50. I have mounted them in the racing trailer - Great! I have one mounted in the racing trailer, and I even have one I slide under the car when I'm working on it. They are cool and makes everything just like daylight. Mark