Legalized Marijuana

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just saw on tv, overnight Canada has legalized recreational use of marijuana. Showed some clips of people smoking weed like crazy. Actually, I thought it was funny. They also produced some survey that showed 60% of Americans are in favor of legalization. Quite honestly, I don't have a problem with recreational use. A small amount in your home for your own head. How do you guys feel about this?? I believe that there are presently about 7 states where it is legal. I think it's just a matter of time before it's legal nationwide. Look, Obummer admitted to smoking a lot and it never affected him, now did it :roll, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
How does an employer deal with drug testing and operating while under the influence? Pot smoking before pulling a 150,000# oversize overwide load, how does that work when he runs down a school bus full of kids? How about when Billy Bob goes out on break, burns one down, comes back and cuts off his hand in the press brake because he's messed up, does the employers work comp have to cover it? We drug test all new hires and random test the rest. WTF does an employer do? I'm glad my working days are about over. You're right on Brian. People are lazy enough now and finding GOOD employees is like a giant box of chocolates with most filled with $hit.

Last edited:

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Just saw on tv, overnight Canada has legalized recreational use of marijuana. Showed some clips of people smoking weed like crazy. Actually, I thought it was funny. They also produced some survey that showed 60% of Americans are in favor of legalization. Quite honestly, I don't have a problem with recreational use. A small amount in your home for your own head. How do you guys feel about this?? I believe that there are presently about 7 states where it is legal. I think it's just a matter of time before it's legal nationwide. Look, Obummer admitted to smoking a lot and it never affected him, now did it :roll, Carmine.
Carmine,
My sister resides in Syracuse and was diagnosed MS over 10 years ago. Two years ago she was able to obtain a permit for medical marijuana. It is dispensed by a pharmacy in liquid form. She attests to the benefits of treating her symptoms and other medicinal benefits are well documented.
I don't necessarily believe that MJ is a gateway drug, rather the lack of accessibility could be a factor in other abuses that are far more dangerous and addictive.
Anyway, its legalization remains a debatable state's rights issue that may never be resolved fully one way or another.

bobs409

Administrator
We have enough idiots walking around, we don't need stoners too. I'd venture a guess that the dems are for all this hoping to get the burned out zombies to vote democrat!

We live in a messed up time. Ban people from smoking cigarettes but legalize pot... hmmm...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If it helps in medical i think so ,go for it. Otherwise no. Carmine ,,,,,what is recreation use??? When you are having fun?????:crazy:crazy:crazy

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If it helps in medical i think so ,go for it. Otherwise no. Carmine ,,,,,what is recreation use??? When you are having fun?????:crazy:crazy:crazy
I would think Don and it's just my opinion, the recreational use of marijuana would be similar to the recreational use of alcohol. Perhaps a replacement?? An enhancement to alcohol?? Certainly all the laws should apply to it just like alcohol. So now, do we need 2 ways of getting stoned?? I'm not 100% sure. I do have mixed feelings on this. I hope we're not opening a can of worms. I really don't know. I will also be truthful and share this with the group. When I was in my mid to late teens, I smoked weed several times. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of it. It was just something a bunch of us did in the late 60's. And to continue with the honesty, I liked it. I preferred it overwhelmingly to alcohol. The high was spontaneous and much better. I never drank when I smoked. No need to. I also realized smoking weed, I would have no future, at least not the kind I wanted, so I stopped. Never did it again. Maybe I'm one of the fortunate ones. I don't know. But, that was all those years ago. I have no desire to return to that part of my past. The past is where it should be, in the past. Nowadays, at home, I will on occasion enjoy a Grey Goose gimlet with a healthy splash of Roses Lime Juice and a twist of fresh lime. I'll have one of those; maybe two; possibly three and your pushing the envelope. Then I start looking for a designated driver if we're going out. Marijuana is going to be legalized throughout the country someday. It's coming. Make no mistake about it. What a source of revenue. There is millions and millions to be made by the government. The politicians see this and they are off to the races. I forget how much Colorado took in for the sale of Marihuana, but it was staggering. Anyhow, got to get going, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
They must have taken the carcinogenic out of the weed today so it will not cause cancer. Probably should be able to smoke in a restaurant. I can truthfully say I never smoked any pot in the 60's, but maybe I did a few times in the early 70's. :guitar:guitar

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm for medicinal weed but that's it. I smoked a little in the 60's & real early 70's but I use to get to wasted drinking beer + weed so I had to give one up and it wasn't going to be beer. That would be the end of my CDL drivers license if I was stopped while driving my Dump if they gave me a test , the weed stays in your system to long.

Mark

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My 2 cents, live and let live..

Irrespective of someones view on it socially, from a patient care /medical point of view, its sad were only now trying to unlock the benefit of the plant. I think its fantastic that people pushed the establishment enough that were now scratching the surface of some real benefit for patients. Real documented breakthroughs in patient care with horrible afflictions like ALS, Parkinson, neurological disorders, or and even cancer. Watch a video of a child with uncontrollable seizures before and after its use and and tell me to take away their chance at a basic life because someone taught us it was wrong...

For patients fighting these terrible things, having a choice means everything. My father-in law, stone cold sober all his life and strictly by the book. He faced a choice, $50k per dose experimental pharma bend-over stuff or nearly free CBD treatment and guess what, CBD has given him remission and no more terrible choice of "should i try to spend our last $50k on some pharma stuff and leave my family broke if i die"... Too bad, he could have taken it a lot earlier but because society demonized it for so long, he took it off the table till it was almost too late...

My wife Jeanne is an ICU nurse in Boston and can tell you with ZERO hesitation, patients that are using it chronically for long term pain management, appetite stimulation, anxiety, vs those taking prescriptions is NIGHT and DAY.. People taking synthetic drugs see a major toll on the body, stomach lining, kidneys, liver with scrips.

On the "get high" side, I lived with an alcoholic father and lost my sister to it at the age of 32. I'm not preaching anti-drinking, i'm only telling you this, we also had pot heads in the family and their still ticking, you'll never loose anyone with pot, not a liver, not a tooth, nothing...

I wish more people were brave enough to have an open mind and not stick to what they learned.

2 cents...

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
In today’s Detroit News article was taking about legalization of marijuana in Canada.
First thing it said DONT TRY to bring to the USA, even the Canadians that work in the US, “Your car better clean, because in the State of Michigan marijuana is still illegal” and the border patrol will act accordingly, so unless you have a doctors prescription you’re in deep trouble.
Dave

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My Brother wants to see it legalized all the way. So I sez to my Brudder as he's sitting over there hissing away because he has the regulator turned up to 8 on his oxygen tank you would be an accident looking for a place to happen if you lit one up but he knows this already because he caught his bad ole self on fire once or twice before.

Mark

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've been smoking weed every night since 1969 when I first smoked it...hell, I grew it for 2 decades without incident...I feel it is far better for the body than drinking beer or spirits and causes no violence or domestic abuse like alcohol does...the medical benefits are off the charts if someone is open minded to research what the chemicals in the cannabis can for for ailments...to each their own...

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm sure it will be just fine. Next time you go in for surgery I'm sure your surgeon will have recovered from his "recreational" use a day or two ago. And how about the pilot of that airliner you and your family are on? He's responsible enough not to fly while stil under the influence, right?
The police officer or fireman who came to help you when you were in trouble is probably ok, too. He only uses on the weekend and it's monday so he's probably got his head back on straight by now. Oh, and the school bus driver driving your 8 year old to class, I'm sure he's on the top of his game too.
Yep, all the people who have responsibility for others will do the right thing, I'm sure, so everybody else can get stoned and be happy. After all, at least the military will stay clean so they can take care of the rest of us while we party……right?

If there is scientific verification of medical benefits then prove it, license it as an approved drug and require a prescription for use like any other valid drug and require delivery by other than smoking it…... (can't be good for the lungs), otherwise it's just a scam to get high.

I spent most of my 23 years in the Coast Guard trying to save lives and also chasing drug smugglers cuz after all, we were at war with drugs, or so we were told. Unfortunately the rest of the country wasn't at war, they were getting high. Stupid me, I took it seriously and have never touched any of the stuff and am totally disgusted whenever I smell MJ.

Usually in a war the enemy is identified and anyone supporting, aiding and abetting the enemy is considered a traitor. If the enemy is drugs then anyone selling, smuggling or USING must be a traitor. The reason we have lost the drug war is that everybody thinks the problem is the hard core addicts, not the "recreational" users. Wrong, the problem is and has always been the recreational users….they are the market. If everyone stopped using there would be no market.

If I am convicted of possession of even a few small traces of a controlled substance, I will lose my retirement. I kicked my teenage son out of the house when found some of his stash. I told him not to come back until he and everything we own was clean. I'm not loosing my hard earned retirement so he can do a little "harmless weed". I know, I'm a jerk but it's that important to me. I learned a long time ago that in my line of work I need to be on top of my game to stay alive. So far so good.

Sorry to rant, but it's always been a touchy subject.

chuckl

Well Known Member
I'm sure it will be just fine. Next time you go in for surgery I'm sure your surgeon will have recovered from his "recreational" use a day or two ago. And how about the pilot of that airliner you and your family are on? He's responsible enough not to fly while stil under the influence, right?
Sorry to rant, but it's always been a touchy subject.

Well said!!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here in Washington they put it on the ballet a few years back and it passed. Of course it was Seattle and the other large metropolitan liberal cities along the I-5 coridor that out vote the majority of the rest of the rural state so were stuck with it.
You guys bring up the medical benefits and then the recreational use good or bad and, their impacts on the community or society but the one thing you have all missed is the actual manufacturing or shall I say production and the direct impact it has on the community where its produced.
This is a big problem, grow operations next to residential areas because on one side of the street the zoning is residential and on the other its commercial. Now you have the grow ops in portable green houses made out of PVC or metal conduit with heavy visqueen stretched over the frame and at night they run their lights. Now its bright as day at night and they have fans going and the smell. big beautiful homes that have been built in the rural areas now have these grow ops going in right next door because its zoned rural residential. if you can have horses, cows. pigs. chickens, goats. and what ever else farm animal you can grow pot. Its bad.

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
There are clear medical benefits.
There are clear social issues.
From a government perspective, they see a clear way of getting easy taxation funds, they really don't give a shit about the first 2 points. That is always left up to the plebs to argue about and sort through.
Hemp was banned back in the 20's when DuPont found a better fibre, prohibition was introduced when large scale manufacturing started to hit its straps, Ford, GE, GM and the likes didn't want their employees pissed on the job.

Me personally, dope has got to be better than ICE, is it safer than cigarettes I doubt it, so Canada is legalising Dope but like the rest of the world they want to turn tobacco smokers into lepers, it's a funny old world, the only common denominator is TAX.