Lesson learned about restoring old gas tanks

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Years ago I had a few gas tanks that I saved out of some cars that I salvaged parts from. I saved the tanks because they seemed solid. One had a small hole drilled in the bottom to drain the old fuel. I picked up some US Gas Tank Sealer and followed all of the prep directions to seal the tanks. I used gas tank epoxy to plug the small hole then sealed the gas tank with the sealer.

Well, I used the tank with the epoxy patch on my 63 4 door driver when I put it together a couple of years ago.

Last week I was out at the garage about 8:00 pm, all was well. The next morning about 6:00 am, I went out to the garage for a piece of cardboard for a project. I opened the door and was hit by an extremely strong smell of gas. Looked under the car, gas was dripping heavily from the gas tank. I opened the door and pushed the car outside. I put a drain pan under the leak but it was too late, over a half a tank of gas drained out on the floor. luckily the floor was sloped enough for the gas to run out under the door. Lost over 12 gallons of gas, but luckily no fire!

I pulled the tank out and found that the tank sealer looked like a deflated balloon inside the tank. The sealer pulled away from the tank and the epoxy patch failed. I can't understand why as the tank was prepped properly and, if I remember correctly, the sealer was supposed to be compatible with alcohol fuel.

Picked up a NEW tank this week and installed it yesterday. I am back on the road!

I picked up the tank for about $100.00. I thought back about what I spent on the tank sealer and other supplies to clean and etch the tank plus the several hours it took to seal it. It definitely wasn't worth trying to save the old tanks to save few dollars and risk a catastrophe. Lesson learned!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I always worried about that sealer coming loose myself, even if professionally done by a radiator shop.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Sounds like a good moral to the story. I'm thinking about a stainless tank that looks "stock".

How can you tell if the filler neck will fit inside the filler neck coming out of the actual gas tank?

I bought a replacement neck & rubber hose for my 63, but it doesn't fit inside the filler neck of my gas tank. If I out the gas pump on "full blast", I get some leakage around the rubber hose connecting the 2 necks together.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The filler neck and the gas tank inlet are the same size, one does not fit into the other. The rubber hose connector should fit snug on both the filler neck and the inlet of the gas tank then two hose clamps tighten onto each end of the hose just behind the beads on the necks, just like a radiator hose. If there is leakage at either connection then the clamps may be loose or not positioned correctly.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just checked their website, that is the same part number of the tank that I purchased. Must be from the same manufacturer. Fit great and no more leaks.