Lets discuss window stickers...

bobs409

Administrator
I see in the misc photo area we have both Factory GM window stickers and also some "dealer" window stickers.

I believe all cars left the factory with a GM window sticker so if the dealer had his own to show the options he installed, did the car come with 2 window stickers or did the dealer remove the GM sticker and use his own?

I never bought a new car so I have to rely on you rich guys for help. :D

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've see it both ways. Side by side and new dealer sticker in place of the orig.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I see in the misc photo area we have both Factory GM window stickers and also some "dealer" window stickers.

I believe all cars left the factory with a GM window sticker so if the dealer had his own to show the options he installed, did the car come with 2 window stickers or did the dealer remove the GM sticker and use his own?

I never bought a new car so I have to rely on you rich guys for help. :D

IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg

I bought a new 1962 Impala in early 1962 when I was young and rich - then I got married and the money disappeared.

I'm still rich just don't have any money. (A wise friend once told me "If you've got your health youre rich".)

The above pictured window sticker is the only thing that was on my car when I took delivery.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clyde, on your window sticker it lists the bucket seats with a separate option and cost from the rest of the Super Sport equipment. Is that normal?
Was it a situation where the SS option required the bucket option?

I know that later years you could get a bench seat SS, but have always thought that buckets were part of the SS option up through '64 at least.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
Window sticker lists: "845 Aqua Bucket Seats $102.25"

The "845" printed on the window sticker, it is not a RPO #, it's the interior trim code for Aqua Vinyl Bucket Seats. The SS option was RPO 240 @ $156.05 retail and it included a bucket seat interior.

The window sticker lists the RPO SS option @ $ 53.80 and the Aqua bucket seats @ 102.25. Add $53.80 plus $102.25 you get the SS option price of $156.05. Why they were broken out separately on the window sticker is a mystery.

Richard

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What a great car, but that $4029.10, had to be a ton of money in '62. As for window stickers, I've bought several new cars and never had the dealer install any option. Seems I always picked the options from the factory list that was presented, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What? You never got the $200 pinstripe? Or the $300 Scotchguard?
Neither. Nothing really jumps out at me. If anything, I might have gone for undercoating on a new '71 Nova I bought, that the dealer would have installed; I think. A big thing for me when I ordered a new car, was always the drivetrain. I always wanted to see what the factories had to offer. I just can't think of anything I would have wanted the dealer to install, Carmine.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Guys, in the 1960's we sold most of the Chevys with dealer options. All too often we would order the cars without air conditioning and add it as the "Chevrolet Cool-Pack" or radios, Am or later the FM, floor mats, door edge guards, and on and on. Do a search for options for a 61 or 62 Chevy or any of the years and you will find quite a list of accessories.

Back then the factory did not offer that many factory installed options, but rather they would rather sell the dealer the options and have him install and sell. We would order accessories heavy at the beginning of the year, say Sept- Oct-Nov-Dec then balance out our inventory of truck grille guards rear bumpers and everything else through say March- April so we would not have any carry over accessories. If we did it was rare if anything would fit the next year, especially the various color floor mats and you could seldom sell them.
So, actually having a dealer added option sticker was not at all uncommon in the 1960's.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
The window sticker was originally called the "Monroney Window Sticker". If my memory serves me the 1958 model year was the first year new Chevrolets shipped from the factory to it's authorized dealers had to have, by Federal Law, a factory printed window sticker attached to the car's side window or windshield. I believe it was 1957 that a Democratic United States Senator, Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney introduced the bill that became a Federal law that required new car window stickers.

The window sticker the dealer puts next to the factory sticker is called an "Addendum Sticker" and is perfectly legal. Recently I visited a Tampa Bay Dodge dealer who had an addendum sticker on a new 707 horsepower Dodge Challenger Hellcat that was in the showroom. The addendum sticker had written on it "Market Value" with a price increase of $20,000.00 over the factory price.

Richard

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think Chrysler recently stopped taking orders of the Hellcat due to "greater then anticipated demand", :dunno

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think Chrysler recently stopped taking orders of the Hellcat due to "greater then anticipated demand", :dunno
That makes no sense. I'm not saying it's wrong. Just doesn't make sense. Sounds like they should have "upped" production to sell more. :rub
It probably has something to do with lawyers and insurance companies.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
The new Z28 Camaro is the same deal. More buyers waiting in line than cars available. Last year my doctor paid 8,000. over sticker for his ZL1 Camaro. I think now they are available at 5 over.

Richard

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That makes no sense. I'm not saying it's wrong. Just doesn't make sense. Sounds like they should have "upped" production to sell more. :rub
It probably has something to do with lawyers and insurance companies.

High demand drives prices up, dealers love that. I'm sure Chrysler was happy to oblige their dealerships.