let's get real

fdb409

i have a '62 bel air w/ 409/409, 4sp, posi, dual quad.... were any vin'd 6cyl ever manufactured with the 409 goodies. i have sun tach w/o module on left inner wheel well. holes there though. i have 14" wheels on front w/ 15" rears. i know about the tonowada strike of '62. was my engine produced by central forging and then placed in a bel air originally destined to be a 6cyl? what do i have?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Let's start with the VIN tag

So are you saying that have a VIN # that contains "1537" for the Bel Air 6 cylinder?

What do you know about the "history" of the vehicle and drive train? Is that documented in any way?

I'm assuming that this is an "068" block with a date code? Possibly with matching heads and other parts? If, so what are the dates of those, and how do they correspond to the dates of the Tonowanda "strike" you mentioned?

Sorry for asking more questions that you did, but we need to know a few more details if you don't mind sharing them :).

Best,
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Aha!

That would b ea 1962 Belair 6 cylinder 2 door sedan built in Los Angeles, CA (according to: http://www.348-409.com/6064vin.html).

There are some guys who know how to estimate when that vehicle was constructed, based on the production number in that VIN (the numbers AFTER the "L" in your VIN)
Would you mind sharing any date codes on the engine block, heads, and any other 409 components you might have ready access to? Then we can know more about the possibilities.

Thanks!

TomK