Lets see what i can break

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My new Mickey Thompson tires showed up and hoping these work good on my 513 geared 4 speed 40 over 409 with the Wilson header car. I have a feeling I might be needing a carrier bearing upgrade then maybe so stronger axles. In the past I have also twisted the t 10 output shaft on the anemic T 10 which makes getting the driveline out very hard.20210409_172653.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just keep the air pressure up and don't try to hook hard. Keeping them over 25psi should help let that rear live a little longer. She will get loose on you a little and you will have to learn to pedal down the track but its that or you could do a "1 and done" launch. Nothing more frustrating then showing up to race for one second of glory, having an ATV pull it off the track just to load it back on the trailer. Hope you don't live far from the track, would be a long haul back home.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
My new Mickey Thompson tires showed up and hoping these work good on my 513 geared 4 speed 40 over 409 with the Wilson header car. I have a feeling I might be needing a carrier bearing upgrade then maybe so stronger axles. In the past I have also twisted the t 10 output shaft on the anemic T 10 which makes getting the driveline out very hard.View attachment 93715

Oh I don't know, you'll break all kinds of things when those tires get hooked.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not taking the slack out is biggest cause of breakage. My dad taught me that 55 years ago. During a match race with a chick in a black automatic max wedge car in 63 at a track in east Texas called Tyler Whitehouse. Car was called Beverly’s Bee . She kicked dads ass in the first race and again In the 2nd race. Dad couldn’t get the car to hook of the line but would almost run her down. In the third and final race I can remember watching a big guy on each door handle trying to hold the car from rolling before the start and still she just barely outran him. Dad rarely broke anything unless someone pissed him off. He never got to use a role control that i know of.

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hate to be a negative Nancy but here are a few that come to mind:
1) transmission
2) slip yoke
3) drive shaft
4) carrier bearing
5) rear end (includes axles, ring and pinion, pig)
6) frame support for upper arm off rear end housing.

I've been down that road a few times, Lol :doh
That's why you install a second on the driver side.:D ( #6)

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not taking the slack out is biggest cause of breakage. My dad taught me that 55 years ago. During a match race with a chick in a black automatic max wedge car in 63 at a track in east Texas called Tyler Whitehouse. Car was called Beverly’s Bee . She kicked dads ass in the first race and again In the 2nd race. Dad couldn’t get the car to hook of the line but would almost run her down. In the third and final race I can remember watching a big guy on each door handle trying to hold the car from rolling before the start and still she just barely outran him. Dad rarely broke anything unless someone pissed him off. He never got to use a role control that i know of.

I love story time:good:good:bow Man I wish you could get your pop's car back. I always keep my eyes out for that forgotten 63 hardtop with an F in the vin and a big hole in the top of the firewall:pray:pray:pray No dice yet....

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I need to add to the story. Dad got a call Saturday evening from Mike Burkhart wnting to know if Dad could come to Tyler and fill in for him in the match race on Sunday because he had just blown his motor up. Mike had a fast red 57 Chevy at the time. The whole roof had the Rebel flag painted on it. So dad agreed to do it knowing that all he had at the time were his legal 7” tires I believe on the car and couldn’t find anything bigger in time for the race. Hence lack of traction.