Letter from GM to use my 2014 Sierra for testing

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just received this letter asking to use my 2014 Sierra truck for EMISSIONS TESTING.
Supposedly It’s for for the US Environmental Protection Agercy and the California Air resources Board (CARB).
Per the letter GM will give me $300 & the use of a new GM truck.
Sure sounds fishy to me, as they could use almost any truck on any GM dealers used car lot.
I believe I’m going to pass on this. For one my truck is a Michigan based truck throughout its life.
Has anyone received such type of letter ?

Dave

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you can do the transaction at a dealership, I don't see why not. Besides, how often can you "borrow" a new truck and get paid for it?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If it ain't broke,don't let them f2ck with it! Most dealerships aren't equipped well enough to do a proper emissions test any way.They can "read" the computer out puts,but that doesn't really tell them what's coming out of the tail pipe.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If it ain't broke,don't let them f2ck with it! Most dealerships aren't equipped well enough to do a proper emissions test any way.They can "read" the computer out puts,but that doesn't really tell them what's coming out of the tail pipe.
Don, I like your way of thinking, even with the GM Compliance & Certification letter head. The letter states the testing would be done indoors on a stationary dynamometer by a independent testing facility.
The truck runs fine with all the service being done at my local GMC dealer. That may be one of the reasons I received the letter as all the service has been done on time & at the dealer. My miles driven has decreased substantially since I retired, about 12,000 per year.
The truck is mostly driven in inclement weather in the summer and all winter months, otherwise I’m driving the 62.
I’m going to give the truck to my youngest son sometime after years end, for his start-up carpentry business.
Going to lease a 2019 GMC Sierra with all the bells & whistles since I now have a nephew that is working for GM headquarters (lawyer). Thinking it would be nice to have a new truck every 3 years at the max, instead of 5 or longer.
Enough of my rambling.
Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Dave