Life during coronavirus

wristpin

Well Known Member
I was stationed aboard USS BROOKE FFG-1 in San diego in the 80's. There were two freighters docked about 100 yrds from us. Those freighters are now known as the USNS COMFORT AND USNS MERCY. I might have pics of those ships being retrofitted.

wristpin

Well Known Member
As an aside...when USNS Comfort was preparing to enter NY harbor she made a 360° turn before heading toward the harbor. Ive seen many opinions on news and by "Thought Leaders" that it was done while politics and ass kissing to the proper persons was conducted so those ships would continue to NYC. I spent 6 years of my life aboard ship and i will say that is pure invented bullshit. A ship in order to maintain steerage must keep moving. Dead in the water or full stop is not a good situation. The ship becomes like a bobber with no control. It bobs, drifts sideways, rolls as the waves push it which causes all manner of discontent within the ship. Its bad for the personel, ship, steerage, supplies, fuel bunkers and equipment. Further more ut is a navigational hazzard to other shipping. The 360° turn is used to prevent all those other deteriorating conditions. It keeps your ship stable and in its proper place in convoy. A "360" or "churning a hole in the water" is done because a ship in front of yours is off schedule for one or more of several reasons. Or it could be because they arrived sooner than expected and the port or tugs were not ready for that ship. From what i am aware of USNS Comforts arrival, she pushed steam to arrive sooner than anyone had expected. Meaning she pushed balls to the walls to go into harms way and conduct health and rescue operations. Everyone aboard USNS COMFORT abd USNS MERCY have earned and deserve praise. GOD BLESS THOSE SHIPS AND THOSE CREWS :salute:salute:salute