Life during coronavirus

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
stopped at walgreens today to buy my dope. there was 3 packs of 4 tp there. i bought two. did not have to
knock out any 95 year old women on walkers. no way was i going to get all three. that should hold them over
for a week or two. stopped at krogers first for some grub. they had no tp. can you believe that. jim

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I always questioned my wife for having a lot of toilet paper on hand even before this out break happened. Now i shut up!!!!!:D

Yep, same here. Except I never questioned her out loud.

Went grocery shopping yesterday. I saw a great marketing plan in action. Usually the TP isle is 40' long with all the different brands. Yesterday there were 2 packages in the 10' TP area, I grabbed one. The other 30' of the isle is now stacked with Busch Light......:drinking

On another note, the county I reside in has 7 confirmed cases and no deaths. Those numbers have not changed all week.

Busy weekend. Making some bullets this am and doing some shooting this afternoon. Making pizza for supper. Cooking a pork shoulder on the Traeger tomorrow and point up bullets.

Note:Be nice to wifey.....This virus is saving me a bundle. No shopping, hair dresser, no taking her out to eat, movie, ect.....:appl

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't look at it like hoarding as much as common sense. As Ron said about bullets, I want to minimize shopping trips, seems like a good idea to me, so I plan farther ahead than I used to and I'm experimenting with these delivery services too.

So it works for groceries (sorta except when they're out of stuff), car parts (think Summit), and Chinese crap (Amazon and Costco)
Doesn't work here any more for ammo, Newsom and friends took care of that
Jury is still out on Home Depot

Think about it, did you really enjoy shopping anyway? And Dave is right about being nice.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The problem is the demand is artificial for most everyday things ( not medical supplies and equipment ). So after things slow down, the manufactures are not going to be able to sell products for awhile because everyone either stocked up or hoarded things. No sales equal no employees to manufacture, no employees to sell at the store, no drivers to ship product, less fuel needed to move product etc, etc, etc.

I have not changed my shopping much at all. I have been stocking supplies for about 15 years when my wife's health changed. I think people are confusing hoarding with having a little extra so they don't have to make trips. There is a difference. I absolutely dislike going to Costco. So I don't have to go for another 7 or so weeks, my base purchase is always, 8 cases of wipes, 2-4 cases of water, 2 large packages of paper towels, 1 large Kleenex pack, and then other things. That base shopping has been that way for almost 15 years. There was never an issue getting any of it. Now I would be considered a hoarder and not allowed to purchase those items even if I could get them. Has the need really changed? Is supply short? NO, its the hoarders and wack jobs out there that has caused most of this.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have been in full lock down now for over 1 1/2 weeks of 4 weeks, and it has been real tough for a lot of people and there has already been businesses close and 100's of gob losses especially within the tourism & air industries. A place in the South Island called Queenstown, was predominantly a tourist area with over 2.5 million visitors annually. Wednesday just gone was the last flight in to there until further notice. Now a ghost town. It was also a popular ski attraction area in winter and that ain't happening this year.

International flights in to Christchurch (home town) are all cancelled and domestic flights throughout NZ dramatically reduced. Apart from some international flights to & from Australia there is nothing else now coming in to the country apart from freight.

With not being able to see the grand-kids is pretty hard and we were due to head to Melbourne in a weeks time to see a new granddaughter (4 weeks old) but that has all been cancelled too.

If was getting to the stage with shopping that, it wasn't that you wanted to go and stock up a bit, but more so a case of having to as people here too were going crazy with panic buying. While we are in lock down supermarkets are still open and as busy as ever.
Still a lot of idiots out there not obey rules and we have just topped over 1000 cases with 1 death. Sure were aren't as bad as some countries around the world whom truly we feel very much for including yourselves.
We have no idea as to when our boarders will open again and at this stage it may well not be until later in the year and all subject to how the rest of the world is doing.

Stay safe all.

Gav

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Iowa is 1 of 5 States not going to full lockdown and our Governor is getting crap about it. She has established guidlines in a sensible way that seem to be working. In my county there are 7 confirmed cases and no deaths..... numbers haven't changed for a week. Of the 99 counties in the State there are 30 that do not have one case. The Governor is trying to save our economy. I think something fishy is going on in this country. Makes me wonder what the death rate is actually going to be compared to the flu......which killed 14k people in the 6 months preceding February 21. I Don't Trust Statistics, weathermen, politicians, or farts.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Iowa is 1 of 5 States not going to full lockdown and our Governor is getting crap about it. She has established guidlines in a sensible way that seem to be working. In my county there are 7 confirmed cases and no deaths..... numbers haven't changed for a week. Of the 99 counties in the State there are 30 that do not have one case. The Governor is trying to save our economy. I think something fishy is going on in this country. Makes me wonder what the death rate is actually going to be compared to the flu......I Don't Trust Statiscis, weathermen, or politicians.

I think I need to move to Iowa!

I have to admit, in the back of my mind I've been thinking similar. Sure is a great way to ruin all Trumps work or is it just coincidence? Of course, this is world wide so I'm probably way off base. Maybe my tin foil hat fell off but I too don't trust those things you mentioned. (you left out lawyers and used car salesmen) :p

I'm not saying there is no virus but that old saying, "never waste a good tragedy or something" comes to mind...

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Trying to keep politics out of this. Also, I'm not a statistician, weatherman, or a politician. Here's my numbers.

New York City population 8.6 million

Covid19 reported cases 63,306 If you count the un-reported cases the final numbers below would decrease.

Covid19 deaths 2,624 Are they inflating these numbers to get more money from the Feds, such as regular flu patients being put into the Covid19 numbers?

Reported cases are .7% of the population.

Reported deaths of the reported cases 4%.

Reported deaths are .03% of the population.

These numbers obviously don't mean squat if you or one of your loved one's is part of the equation.

The Cedar Rapids Gazette reported CDC information on February 21 that 14,000 people died from the regular flu in the preceding 6 months. 26 million people contracted the regular flu this past fall and winter. Approximately 250,000 people ended up hospitalized from the regular flu.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Lock down

Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down!
Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking coffee and we all agreed that things are getting bad.
I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything.
Certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant.
In the end the iron straightened me out as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing.
The vacuum was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over!
The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip.
The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ........yes, you guessed it .....pull myself together